Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers!

+2
studio-pots
cycladelic
6 posters

Go down

Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers! Empty Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers!

Post by cycladelic March 25th 2013, 8:21 am

A short while ago the subject of research on Poole came up. It struck me that there's a lack of basic info' on the paintresses who worked there in 1960s and I mentioned it a shame these women haven't been interviewed. They won't be around forever.

It'd be great to hear about that period first-hand, know what their lives were like, how things ticked at work, what influenced them, how much imput Tony Morris had on their output. I could go on.

Are Jean Millership, Christine Tate, Anne Godfrey, Loretta Leigh, Betty Bantten, Patricia Wells, Carole Holden, Thelma Bush, Geraldine O’Meara, Janet Laird, Carolyn Bartlett, Sally Murch, Angela Wyburgh, Irene Kerton, Margaret Anderson, and Shirley Campbell et al still around?

I also mentioned I did some research in the 1990s. I spent a couple of years in Detroit, tracking down unsung recording artists and musicians etc. You can see - and hear - a couple of the results here...

http://soulfuldetroit.com/web15-Holidays/index.html

and here...

http://soulfuldetroit.com/index-home.htm

It'd be great to have something along these lines detailing the Poole period spanning the Studio and Delphis years. I don't think it'd be that hard to do.
cycladelic
cycladelic

Male Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2012-11-02

Back to top Go down

Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers! Empty Re: Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers!

Post by studio-pots March 25th 2013, 11:50 am

Thanks for that Graham and the Soulfuldetroit website even looks like a 1960s Poole platter colourwise! I will spend many an hour looking through it.

Bettye Lavette was one of the guests on BBC's Jools Holland's Hootenanny this last New Year's Eve but the real shame was that some very average 80s British acts got far more time than Bettye and Bobby Womack. She can still sing.

Finally, glad to see that we have another member of the Lincolnshire Mafia on board. I originate from the "Deep South" down the A15 (Lincolnshire's Highway 61) but haven't gone quite as far away as you.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers! Empty Re: Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers!

Post by cycladelic March 25th 2013, 12:49 pm

Bobby Womack... I went to see him perform in Birmigham in the early 70s. I was one of his biggest fans back then. I recently read that his brother Cecil passed away recently. He was co-writer of It's All Over Now, which The Stones covered. The Womacks orig' recorded it with their group The Valentinos.

And Bettye is a one-off; an amazing woman. Despite the surreal ambiance of it being the day after 9/11, I had a great day/night out in Detroit with her.

Lincolnshire: I was back there last summer riding around - I like touring by bicycle and started my trip in Morroco. You can see my blog here - with some snaps of me in action!...

http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1&doc_id=9112&v=2nq
cycladelic
cycladelic

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 25th 2013, 12:54 pm

sounds like a great trip! I was looking at maps of the Mijas-Ronda cycle route just last week with the intention of getting up there in the summer,I used to live around that area and will be moving back in a couple of years

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic March 25th 2013, 12:59 pm

I can well understand that, Dan. I imagine Spanish property prices have come down in recent years. Mijas is wonderful, as is Ronda. It was a hard slog getting up there from the coast though. Will you be biking it?
cycladelic
cycladelic

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 25th 2013, 1:00 pm

Big Laughter

NO! Nuh-huh

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by skay March 26th 2013, 8:44 pm

Fantastic blog Graham, I'm on day 4 and looking forward to the rest Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers! 910958

Back on topic though, can we all devise a cunning plan (online) to attract the Poole people to join and contribute?

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351

Back to top Go down

Post by skay March 26th 2013, 9:15 pm

How about we move this to 'General Pottery Discussion' so its easily googleable and re-name it something like 'Calling all ex-Poole workers' And if anyone's in touch with them, draw their attention to it?

Or any other suggestions?

xx

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic March 27th 2013, 4:45 am

skay wrote:Fantastic blog Graham, I'm on day 4 and looking forward to the rest Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers! 910958

Back on topic though, can we all devise a cunning plan (online) to attract the Poole people to join and contribute?

xx

Thanks for the kind coment. That blog will keep you busy!...

I think the research is certainly doable. Someone must know where at least some of the ex-Poole paintresses are now. From experience, I bet they'd be willing to share their memories of their days at work and reckon that shown some of their plates and dishes - via a laptop screen - they'd offer great insight into that wonderful period.

The clock is ticking.
cycladelic
cycladelic

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic March 27th 2013, 4:49 am

skay wrote:How about we move this to 'General Pottery Discussion' so its easily googleable and re-name it something like 'Calling all ex-Poole workers' And if anyone's in touch with them, draw their attention to it?

Or any other suggestions?

xx

This is a good idea.

I think that's it's a case of being quite active and doubt (from experience) that many people will offer to help track the women down. However, if you contact one, she may be able to say where one or two of her ex-coworkers are nowadays.
cycladelic
cycladelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee March 27th 2013, 7:15 am

Alan White may be a good source of information. When I visited Poole last year he was very happy to talk and raised the subject of the Delphis Paintressess himself.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 27th 2013, 1:45 pm

re-name the thread 'Free booze for ex Poole pottery paintresses' and they'll be here like a shot

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by skay March 27th 2013, 7:16 pm

Happy Ok, lets give it a try and see what happens. If nothing then perhaps we could put some names as titles, in the hope that they or their families sometimes google their names.

xx

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 27th 2013, 8:05 pm

don't forget that Sue said she would talk to some of them

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by skay March 27th 2013, 8:10 pm

That's great, yes sorry I did forget.

xx

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 27th 2013, 8:15 pm

thought so Calling all ex-Poole Pottery workers! 896643

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by cycladelic March 30th 2013, 10:10 am

It looks like the next step is for someone to offer to undertake the interviews. I'd love to, but I'm on the other side of the world.

If Sue is willing - great.

To get in touch with the paintresses, it'd be a good idea to do what I did while researching Chameleon Ware back in the 1970s. I got interviewed on BBC Radio Stoke and appealed for anyone who knew of people connected to the company to make contact. A couple of people got in touch.

Another avenue to explore would be to contact local newspapers in Bourneouth/Poole and see if they'll publish something along those lines.
cycladelic
cycladelic

Back to top Go down

Post by Eclectic-Dorset April 1st 2013, 11:32 am

I went to wimborne market earlier speaking to the big Poole dealer there she said one of her friends was still in touch with quite a few of the old paintresses so i mentioned about the forum and she was kind enough to write it down , you never know some thing may come of it .
Eclectic-Dorset
Eclectic-Dorset

Number of posts : 563
Registration date : 2013-01-15

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum