Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh)

+3
big ed
studio-pots
climberg64
7 posters

Go down

Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh) Empty Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh)

Post by climberg64 Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:10 pm

Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh) P1010240
Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh) P1010241

35cm earthenware fantasy teapot made by Angus Suttie circa 1987. Marked 'Suttie' to the base.

It clearly had a lid which has been lost. The current lid was kindly made by Julia Roxburgh, ceramic artist, Newcastle, UK.
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh) Empty Re: Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh)

Post by climberg64 Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:14 pm

Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh) P1010243

Larger pic for the mobile users.
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh) Empty Re: Angus Suttie Fantasy Teapot (with lid by Julia Roxburgh)

Post by studio-pots Thu Apr 11, 2013 4:34 pm

Now the first question to ask about a teapot is does it pour well? Cheeky

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Thu Apr 11, 2013 6:44 pm

I love it , Most Excellent I think it probably does pour , not sure about the lid though , it seems so different .
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:20 pm

It was an interesting project, the lid. It'll grow on you.

Needless to say, I love it with the lid. Remove it and there's definitely something missing. It had to be bold to hold its own against the menacing weirdness of Suttie's imagination. It lightens the piece and gives it a smile.
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:29 pm

I saw this at auction last year , sold as probably having a lid , which we agree was probably the case , sorry Guy , I love the pot but the lid won't grow on me , I'd rather it without , but only my opinion , anywho , great to see a refreshingly different style on the forum .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal Thu Apr 11, 2013 7:50 pm

I like the lid - I think it's a great idea to get another potter to replace a missing part like that - it's like a great architect adding a new wing to a fine building
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:09 pm

collaboration pottery....interesting Pondering

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:12 pm

I actually think it lid suits it quite well.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:16 pm

It's still a marriage no matter how you look at it and it looks bit to blingy for the main piece, colours are all wrong as well imo.
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:24 pm

It is a marriage and does not match, but I think that is all part of the charm personally. I think I'd rather that than a lid made to only vaguely match to be honest. Thought I do imagine it would look good without a lid at all too.

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Thu Apr 11, 2013 8:36 pm

Nothing against Julias work , but it would be a bit like asking Rolf Harris to touch up your Picasso Nuh-huh
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by climberg64 Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:33 pm

We had no idea what the original lid looked like so the thinking was not to reproduce what Suttie did nor to make something that matched but to create a complementary part by a proper potter in their own style.

It's interesting to think what other potters would have done.
climberg64
climberg64

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:37 pm

http://search.aol.com/aol/image?v_t=client-browser10-auth&page=1&q=angus+suttie+ceramics&oreq=8d0c5e4306b44c9bb03ba3c0e2d81f34
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty Thu Apr 11, 2013 9:38 pm

climberg64 wrote:We had no idea what the original lid looked like so the thinking was not to reproduce what Suttie did nor to make something that matched but to create a complementary part by a proper potter in their own style.

I think it works, but it's all down to personal preference. Happy

Potty
Potty

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Sat Apr 13, 2013 10:03 pm

This one in the Crafts Council collection.

Teasepot?

http://onviewonline.craftscouncil.org.uk/4040/images/objects/P372-SQ-LRG-1.jpg
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6381
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum