Holding Brothers, Oswaldtwistle.

Go down

Holding Brothers, Oswaldtwistle. Empty Holding Brothers, Oswaldtwistle.

Post by Marcusborra July 24th 2013, 4:51 pm

I recently acquired a small pottery jug from a local charity shop. There was a clear impressed name of the maker  on the base which I 'googled'. What a sad story, the demise of a small independant pottery company.  I feel certain that some of your members would be interested in this story and researching it further.
Here are a couple of the pictures of the jug which triggered this search.
     Holding Brothers, Oswaldtwistle. Marksp19

Holding Brothers, Oswaldtwistle. Marksp20
Marcusborra
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Holding Brothers, Oswaldtwistle. Empty Re: Holding Brothers, Oswaldtwistle.

Post by Marcusborra April 2nd 2014, 6:08 pm

http://www.jarrelook.co.uk/Urbex/Holdings%20Brothers%20Pottery/Holdings_Pottery.htm

Holding's Country Pottery was founded in 1842 by James Holding, but it was not originally located on Haslingden Old Road where it is now. The original pottery was built a short distance away in Gaulkthorn, another outlying area of Oswaldtwistle. In 1860 James Holding moved his business to Broadfield, then in 1900 his son Grimshaw Holding set up the pottery on the present site. From then on the pottery stayed put and the business passed down from father to son until it's decline very recently - the last mandatory accounts, made up to 3rd. May, were submitted to Companies House in 2010, with the comment, "Nature of business, dormant company".

Marcusborra
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum