Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ??

4 posters

Go down

Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ?? Empty Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ??

Post by VeryGreennkeen September 4th 2013, 10:55 pm

Hi, thanks to anyone that takes the time to look at this item any ideas or info gratefully received.
Its a very small stylised teapot , white metal with copper base.
Base has a stamp/ mark but i dont even know if its Chinese or Japanese. I feel Japan but with no good reason.
The white metal was tarnished and is non magnetic so could be silver but again not sure.
Many thanks, Scott
Measures 5 1/2 " across at widest points
2" tall

Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ?? Tea001

Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ?? Tea002

Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ?? Tea004
VeryGreennkeen
VeryGreennkeen

Number of posts : 134
Registration date : 2011-05-10

Back to top Go down

Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ?? Empty Re: Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ??

Post by NaomiM September 4th 2013, 11:41 pm

Might be silver - a jeweller might be willing to test it for you.
From the square shape of the mark I suspect its Chinese - it might be on the list of marks on the gotheborg.com website.
Looks like a four character mark which could be a place of manufacture rather than a six character Emperors reign mark .

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ?? Empty Re: Chinese or Japanese Metal Teapot ??

Post by studio-pots September 18th 2013, 12:19 pm

I agree with Naomi that it is likely to be Chinese but it looks like being silver plated rather than silver to me.

It is difficult to tell that from pictures but the white metal looks too thick for silver and, silver being a soft metal, you would expect to see some denting if it were.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 September 19th 2013, 12:15 pm

it would be better if it is Chinese, it does look chinese to me.. i have seen similar on internet auction..... which dates from the 19th and is more in the form of art deco design.. almost similar shape and design to your tea pot which sold for £1750... that was made out of terracotta stoneware... if yours is 19th chinese silver then your in the money :).. so i suggest that you take it to a local auction house let them do more research for you.
sunnyices2

Male Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum