Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature

3 posters

Go down

Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature Empty Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature

Post by mikelv85 February 10th 2014, 8:52 pm

Another unusual find I cannot identify. This vase 8" tall x 7"  in diameter. The decoration is very lightly incised branches and what look like Chinese/Japanese characters with unusual dimples at random spots. The color is a pale celadon green but a bit on the grey side too. You can see the hand thrown marks in the clay under the glaze. It does have a nice "ting" to it when you tap it. The bottom is different from anything I've seen on most pieces. There is a mark or signature on the bottom but it's illegible.

Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature Pale_g10

Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature Pale_g11

Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature Pale_g12

Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature Pale_c10
mikelv85
mikelv85

Male Number of posts : 32
Registration date : 2014-02-06

Back to top Go down

Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature Empty Re: Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature

Post by sunnyices2 February 10th 2014, 9:25 pm

i think i most have seen this mark before but am not so sure let me check again... please take a clearer pix of that mark again please if you can :)
sunnyices2

Male Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to top Go down

Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature Empty Re: Japanese Studio Art Pottery ? Round Celadon Vase with Illegible Signature

Post by sunnyices2 February 10th 2014, 9:26 pm

if am correct, >>>> Yeap, Poh Chap ?
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikelv85 February 10th 2014, 10:04 pm

Hi sunnyices2......That's the best picture I could get. I couldn't even decide which direction it should face...lol. I suppose it could be his work but from the examples online it doesn't look like his style.but what do I know. He does use different signatures too sometimes painted, sometimes incised. They all seem to look like "Yeap" if you know what to look for. The signature on this piece is really scrawled and so hard to make out.  Thanks for the lead I'll keep searching there seems to be a lot about him. -Mike-
mikelv85
mikelv85

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 February 10th 2014, 10:26 pm

try and compare the mark on your vase with his make on here http://www.studiopottery.com/cgi-bin/pp.cgi?item=1909
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by mikelv85 February 10th 2014, 11:36 pm

Maybe it's just me but I'm not seeing any resemblance. My vase's signature seems a lot longer and more complex unless he's using his full name and not just Yeap.
mikelv85
mikelv85

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2014, 8:38 am

You are correct it's not Yeap's style or signature.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 11th 2014, 11:05 am

The style of the vase and signature point me to believing that it was made in Japan.

However, I suspect the only way that you are going to decipher the signature is for you to come across another pot by the potter, whose owner knows who the potter is/was.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum