Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan?

5 posters

Go down

Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan? Empty Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan?

Post by Redware February 19th 2014, 5:59 pm

I'm not sure what to think of this one, is it Chinese or Japanese? The letters inside the cup looks Japanese to me, but outer writing confuses me. Any ideas?
Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan? Img_4510
Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan? Img_4511
Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan? Img_4512
Redware
Redware

Male Number of posts : 210
Registration date : 2012-11-08

Back to top Go down

Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan? Empty Re: Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan?

Post by sunnyices2 February 19th 2014, 6:44 pm

sake cup and probably Japanese, is it porcelain or stoneware
sunnyices2

Male Number of posts : 822
Registration date : 2012-09-22

Back to top Go down

Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan? Empty Re: Is this Chinese tea bowl or sake bowl from Japan?

Post by Redware February 19th 2014, 6:46 pm

It's definitely porcelain, you can see the light coming through when placed under the bulb.
Redware
Redware

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 February 19th 2014, 6:59 pm

hmmmmmmmm very interesting sake cup :) it's unusual with the writing inside....
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 19th 2014, 8:44 pm

What are the dimensions?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware February 19th 2014, 9:55 pm

It is almost 2'' (5cm) tall, 1 6/8'' (4.3mm) at the base and 3'' (6.8cm) at the rim. Any ideas to the age? I know that it's a bit wishful thinking but maybe anyone knows what the writing means?
Redware
Redware

Back to top Go down

Post by carlos32golf February 19th 2014, 10:03 pm

doesn't look like porcelain to be honest, looks like stoneware or such like, way too thick to see through it when under a light.
carlos32golf
carlos32golf

Number of posts : 176
Registration date : 2013-09-09

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 19th 2014, 10:08 pm

It could just about be a sake cup but most likely a small teacup from a set with a teapot going on the size.

Not really sure where it is from though - the base puts me off saying it is Japanese, suggesting that it is Korean or Chinese but in all honesty it could be from any of those places. I've had no joy with the characters I'm afraid.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware February 19th 2014, 10:11 pm

It is porcelain, you can see the light all right, not through the bottom but on the sides. It also rings very nicely when gently tapped with a nail.
Redware
Redware

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware February 19th 2014, 10:16 pm

I agree, I hate to identify the letters from the alphabet I don't understand. I would rule out Korean though as their lettering is a bit characteristic with more square and oval writing. So going with the base it's Chinese, but this writing... It does look somehow Japanese.
Redware
Redware

Back to top Go down

Post by sunnyices2 February 20th 2014, 6:41 am

The reason why I ask if is porcelain, because the base look like stoneware, but maybe finished with some type of clay texture or perhaps in firing process... Redware if your certain is porcelain, then it could well be Chinese
sunnyices2

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 20th 2014, 8:00 am

The colour of the base will be due to the firing process.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots February 20th 2014, 8:54 am

Redware wrote:I agree, I hate to identify the letters from the alphabet I don't understand. I would rule out Korean though as their lettering is a bit characteristic with more square and oval writing. So going with the base it's Chinese, but this writing... It does look somehow Japanese.

I wouldn't necessarily rule out Korean because the kanji (characters) when used on ceramics tend to be based on old Chinese (traditional) rather than modern characters. I do agree that the writing looks Japanese though. For me the foot is the problem as I don't recall seeing ash deposited on the foot of any Japanese pottery before - at least of what I am aware of.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware February 20th 2014, 2:09 pm

I have posted the pictures to my cousin's Japanese language teacher so hopefully I will be able to narrow it down at least to the country.
Redware
Redware

Back to top Go down

Post by Redware March 4th 2014, 6:59 pm

So the bowl is from Japan. the writing inside says something about sixth year, however I have no idea what does it relates to... It could be a bthday present for a 6th bthday or something like that  Happy
Redware
Redware

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum