Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery

+2
big ed
Marcusborra
6 posters

Go down

Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Empty Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery

Post by Marcusborra May 25th 2014, 7:35 pm

Another one that I would appreciate some help in identifying. It has a printed mark which is difficult read. Possibly if someone recognises the mark you know what it says and can therefore read it.
Height 14cm
Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Marks167
Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Marks168
Marcusborra
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Empty Re: Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery

Post by big ed May 25th 2014, 7:41 pm

looks like ?????? gladstone Hexam to me  Shrugs 
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Empty Re: Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery

Post by NaomiM May 25th 2014, 8:01 pm

Yes, Gladstone Museum Pottery

Edited to add, Stephen Parry-Thomas worked there, amongst others. Still in operation. Gary Cooper is currently employed there as a thrower

Last edited by NaomiM on January 22nd 2023, 6:42 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31419
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcusborra May 25th 2014, 9:35 pm

Thanks Ed and Naomi, could be a reproduction of something which was sold by the Museum shop. It is not old hence the stamp on the base.
Marcusborra
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 24th 2015, 6:42 pm

Kevin Millward used to make pots there and may still do to be sold in the shop. Suleyman Saba, a friend of mine who now pots in London, was an apprentice with him there around 1993.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM February 23rd 2015, 6:34 pm

Gladstone Pottery mug with label: Gladstone Pottery Museum, Stoke on Trent. Stephen Parry-Thomas initially worked there before Alton Pottery

Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Gladst11
Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Gladst10
Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Gladst12

Last edited by NaomiM on February 3rd 2021, 6:01 pm; edited 2 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by paulhenry March 29th 2015, 10:16 am

Many years ago , when I was on my Art foundation year in Burslem, I was a volunteer potter at the Gladstone Pottery, and this was exactly the sort of work that was produced then. A local red clay with what we called a Rockingham glaze.It was really a dark honey, but looked very rich on the red clay. The idea was to produce a range of simple sort of traditional pots, hand thrown and then sold in the shop to help cover costs.As a volunteer I did many jobs, from throwing, to kiln packing, glazing and even back stamping, so perhaps that could even be one of mine! I was there 1979-80
paulhenry
paulhenry

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2015-03-28

http://www.paulhenrydesign.com

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 29th 2015, 1:30 pm

Thanks for the info. The glaze is gorgeous Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Empty Tyg from the last bottle oven firing (1978) Gladstone Pottery Museum

Post by DAVID24/5 September 6th 2016, 7:24 pm

Just picked up this commemorative tyg produced from the last bottle oven firing in 1978 at Sutherland Works, Longton, organised by the Gladstone Pottery Museum and overseen by master potter Alfred Clough (1905-1984). Alfred Clough presented a talk about the event to the British Ceramic Society. An audio record was made of the talk. This has lain dormant for almost 40 years. But now it has been edited, and together with still images of the Last Bottle Oven Firing, this 20 minute movie has been created. Just go on to YouTube and type 'last bottle oven firing'. The tyg was retailed in 1978 at £28 - probably well over £100 in today's money.

Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Tyg110
Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Tyg210
Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Tyg310
Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Tyg410
Treacle Glazed Jug - Gladstone Museum Pottery Tyg510
DAVID24/5
DAVID24/5

Number of posts : 59
Registration date : 2015-05-27

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM September 6th 2016, 9:14 pm

Very nice :)

Cary Cooper currently works at Gladstone Pottery Museum as a demonstration thrower, making pots on the wheel.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum