+5
BrandX
sukraine
NaomiM
studio-pots
vanmann
9 posters

Go down

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Empty Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery

Post by vanmann February 5th 2013, 8:21 pm

Admin wrote:Biography:
Biddy Rose became a studio potter in 1974 at Milestone House Pottery Yoxford with her mother, Diana. Biddy attended community education classes, with Joanna Constantinidis in Chelmsford and on moving to Suffolk, with Freda Sage. Later she took an intensive residential course on thrown form with Karen Karnes in USA, subsequently inviting Karen to Suffolk to run a similar course in UK.
Biddy and Diana sold their work in Yoxford 1974-96. In the early 1980’s Harry Barclay married Biddy and joined the pottery alongside his profession as landscape architect. Biddy, Diana and Harry moved near Aldeburgh in 1996 and ran the retail outlet ‘Avocet’ which sold their pottery until 2017 when Harry retired and Avocet closed. Diana lived to 99 years and made pots into her late nineties. Biddy continues making pottery and ceramics and sells her work from the studio near Aldeburgh

Have this rather nice 34 cms diameter stoneware charger and hoping for some ideas on maker. Seal looks like either a stick figure or  a star in an oval. All suggestions appreciated John

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Potter28

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Potter29
vanmann
vanmann

Male Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Empty Re: Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery

Post by studio-pots February 5th 2013, 10:22 pm

Not familiar with his work but it could be by Harry Barclay, who potted in Yoxford, Suffolk from 1974 to 1996. He made reduced thrown stoneware like this is and the mark appears about right. Can't be certain though.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Empty Re: Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery

Post by vanmann February 5th 2013, 10:41 pm

Mark certainly looks close and this was bought in Essex so not that far from Yoxford.
Thanks John
vanmann
vanmann

Male Number of posts : 610
Registration date : 2010-04-19

Back to top Go down

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Empty Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery

Post by NaomiM September 11th 2014, 1:37 am

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Dscn8715

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Dscn8718

Small plate by Diana Rose, marked D for Diana and a second mark that looks like a wheel with 5 spokes (Biddy's mark is similar,  but more like a flower with 5 petals, and a B stamp)
Based at Milestone House Pottery, Yoxford.

Last edited by NaomiM on July 25th 2020, 10:48 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Empty Harry Barclay, Biddy & Diana Rose, Milestone House Pottery

Post by sukraine May 21st 2015, 6:35 pm

Studio pottery vase brown, russet and beige, 17cms high,  marked on the bottom with what looks like a star in a circle.Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery <a href=Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Wp_20122" />Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery <a href=Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Wp_20120" />
sukraine
sukraine

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 21st 2015, 6:45 pm

It is a lidded jar without the lid rather than a vase, I'm afraid.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 21st 2015, 6:50 pm

It might be by Harry Barclay at the Milestone House Pottery in Yoxford (1974 -1996).

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by sukraine May 21st 2015, 7:44 pm

I might have the lid somewhere, will have to have a hunt. I remember something that might fit. Thanks for the info.[/i]
sukraine
sukraine

Number of posts : 89
Registration date : 2015-05-17

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 21st 2015, 8:57 pm

Looks like Biddy Rose's flower mark -

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Biddy_10

Last edited by NaomiM on January 30th 2023, 6:11 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots May 21st 2015, 11:39 pm

It does appear that Harry Barclay, Biddy Rose and Diana Rose all worked at the Milestone House Pottery during the dates 1974 to 96. A five pointed mark was used by all of them but it seems to have been slightly different in each case. However, it does appear that they all had personal seals (stylised H, B and D), which they used for individual pieces alongside these marks.

I do not know how well the five pointed marks match the diagramatic illustrations that I found but: -

Harry's mark gets thicker as it goes out.
Biddy's mark are thicker in the centre - like petals.
Diana's mark goes to a point like a star.

That is why I believe that this stamp was the one that Harry used rather than either of the two women.

I suppose without known examples of each it is difficult to be 100% certain, who stamped the bottom of this jar. However, I think we can say that it was made at the Milestone House Pottery in Yoxford, Suffolk.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by BrandX May 22nd 2015, 2:29 pm

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery P1060111

Coincidentally I picked up this little jug by Biddy Rose (confirmed by her personal stamp) at a local car boot last weekend; the petal shape is quite distinct. The "arms" in the stamp on Sukraine's pot appear to get thicker toward the end, which would rule out Diana. So my money is on Harry.
BrandX
BrandX

Male Number of posts : 177
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 22nd 2015, 5:33 pm

my one by Diana Rose has a mark more like spokes on a wheel than a flower

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Empty Tenmoku Lamp base - Harry Barclay, Milestone House Pottery

Post by NaomiM July 12th 2015, 4:18 am

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Image257 Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Image258 Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Image259 Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Image260

Last edited by NaomiM on July 12th 2015, 2:04 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Marcusborra July 12th 2015, 12:13 pm

Could it be Biddy Rose and Diane Rose.
Marcusborra
Marcusborra

Male Number of posts : 296
Registration date : 2013-04-30

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 12th 2015, 1:54 pm

cheers. Seems like Harry Barclay who worked with the Roses

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by olipayton March 14th 2017, 6:40 pm

A few Diana Rose pieces I have collected

photo SAM_5942_zpsrsuspvpd.jpg photo SAM_5943_zpsta92dvlz.jpg
olipayton
olipayton

Number of posts : 548
Registration date : 2015-12-08

Back to top Go down

Post by hercules brabazon April 25th 2017, 12:17 pm

There's an obituary of Diana Rose (11 October 1913 – 28 June 2013) here, which may clarify things:
http://www.anglianpotters.org.uk/userfiles/file/newsletters/2014SummerWeb.pdf

"Beginning pottery classes in 1965 in London, in her fifties, she moved later to Essex and bought a second-hand wheel and kiln. Di and daughter Biddy set up Milestone House Pottery in Yoxford, Suffolk in 1974....."

The obit is signed "Biddy Barclay", so presumably Harry was (or became) a relative by marriage.
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 25th 2020, 10:46 pm

Diana Rose

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery 34a4cc10
Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery 7bcbb210

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Empty Diana Rose, Biddy Rose and Harry Barclay

Post by abstract*toad August 7th 2021, 6:07 pm

A nice little pin dish. Toasty (as Naomi might say) unglazed finish, possibly wood fired. Nice olive glaze with simplistic, but pleasing, decoration.
Impressed mark looks, to my dodgy eyes, like a stick person or a star.
Any help welcomed.

Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Img_2436
Biddy & Diana Rose, and Harry Barclay - Milestone House Pottery Img_2435
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2021-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 7th 2021, 9:57 pm

It’s the flower mark used by Harry Barclay, Biddy & Diana Rose

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad August 8th 2021, 9:11 am

Really grateful Naomi, thank you 😊
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Number of posts : 694
Registration date : 2021-04-23

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum