ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian?

3 posters

Go down

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Empty ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian?

Post by silverbug February 25th 2015, 7:52 pm

I found this vase a few months ago in a charity shop and the quality of it stood out immediately, was most surprised to find it there!
It appears to be enamelled copper with a silver metal  foot and rim (it was black on purchase but a little silver polish brought it up a treat-EDIT; these pics were taken before it was polished!) and appears to be in perfect condition.
I thought it looked rather Arabic in style but haven't really found out much about it other than the fact that images of live creatures aren't allowed in Islamic art, so the presence of birds on the vase suggests it might be from a non-Islamic Middle East region and that Persia has a history of making enamel wares?
Can anybody possibly help with a definite identification of place of origin/date please?
Thanks!

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Vase_010

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Vase_011

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Vase_012

There appears to be some script arond the foot.....

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Vase_014

Flower painted on base.....

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Vase_015
silverbug
silverbug

Number of posts : 93
Registration date : 2015-02-17

Back to top Go down

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Empty Re: ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian?

Post by NaomiM February 25th 2015, 7:58 pm

I believe it's Chinese Canton enamel. I found a box recently with a very similar pattern which was late 19th - early 20th Century, but they still make it. I'll try to find more info on it.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Empty Re: ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian?

Post by NaomiM February 25th 2015, 8:00 pm

If you google Chinese Canton enamel you'll see similar pieces. Are there any signs of age on yours? The base looks very new and shiny. Earlier pieces are on copper which 'rusts'.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

ID help please; is this enamelled vase Persian? Empty Canton enamel

Post by silverbug February 25th 2015, 8:12 pm

Thanks for the tip, that has really surprised me, really thought it was from the Middle East!
The base was really really black/tarnished!
To my shame I didn't use silver polish but chrome polish I normally use on my classic VW's bumpers! Laughter
I like my metal shiney ( where appropriate) Happy
silverbug
silverbug

Back to top Go down

Post by DamonC March 26th 2019, 7:09 pm

The script on the base is Persian and this type of illustration is found on lots of Iranian enameled metal items

Damon
DamonC
DamonC

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2019-03-26

Back to top Go down

Post by silverbug August 6th 2019, 6:19 pm

Thanks for the info DamonC.
Sorry for the dreadfully late reply as I have only just seen your post on this thread!
silverbug
silverbug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum