Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason)

5 posters

Go down

Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason) Empty Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason)

Post by stardust* April 6th 2016, 9:29 pm

Large heavy bowl. Matt glaze with a band design. JW stamp.
The two JW stamps I've found are as in the title trouble is, it doesn't look much like John Ward or Jason Wason's pottery I can find images of, but the stamp looks more the latter.
Is it more likely to be an overseas potter?
I'd be grateful of any help please.

Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason) Img_3110
Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason) Img_3111
Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason) Img_3112
stardust*
stardust*

Female Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2015-06-29

Back to top Go down

Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason) Empty Re: Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason)

Post by studio-pots April 6th 2016, 11:31 pm

The pot is as important as the mark when it comes to identifying the maker of any item and you are correct that it doesn't look like the work of either of the potters in the title of the thread.

This bowl is thrown so that rules out John Ward straight away, as he only hand-builds his bowl forms.

Jason Wason's work has varied over the years but nothing like this, so you are correct on ruling them both out.

To me the bowl doesn't look that well made to be honest and if it didn't have what looks like a professional seal mark I would have thought that it was the work of a hobby potter. Of course, it still could be.

It isn't something that looks familiar to me, I'm afraid.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7815
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason) Empty Re: Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason)

Post by NaomiM April 7th 2016, 12:13 am

Not in my copy of the BSPM book. That base is unusual for a British potter.
Edited to add, some wall tiles with an early-mid 70s date have turned up with the same mark. Too early for Jason Wason.

Last edited by NaomiM on January 25th 2023, 3:02 pm; edited 2 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31247
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by stardust* April 7th 2016, 8:20 am

Now you mention it might be a hobby potter, I've noticed the uneven rim on the photo...and the base, I have only seen that before on the base of one of my kitchen mugs, it's unmarked, picked up from somewhere.... so that's no help really, just remembered I had it.

Large Bowl with JW mark (not John Ward or Jason Wason) Img_3113

Thank you SP, Naomi....it's a constant learning curve. I was born with, I'm pretty sure that's when it began, an admiration and enthusiasm for studio pottery (which I'm sure potters wish everyone was born with) this can escalate into  childish excitement when I find a marked pot or unmarked in most cases...which is wonderful..but, I'm trying to grow up and learn to calm the heck down when face to face with pottery. Here's my new personal level headed guidelines;
Be more selective and take a good look at the pot, stick to what you like, learn by your mistakes, and take experienced advice!

I really enjoy being a part of this forum. Happy

Last edited by stardust* on April 7th 2016, 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
stardust*
stardust*

Female Number of posts : 411
Registration date : 2015-06-29

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman April 7th 2016, 8:54 am

it's easy to notice the imperfections in hobby pots or ones made by untallented professionals when you compare them with pieces made by a master potter, I have often bought pottery at a car boot sale but regretted it when placed in my collection.
I still have lots of pottery that appeals because it is quirky and to be honest they're the keepers

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty April 7th 2016, 10:08 am

The potting of the mug looks much better quality. Excellent

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum