1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate

2 posters

Go down

1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate Empty 1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate

Post by seandux September 9th 2016, 7:26 pm

Hi. Hope someone can help. I recently found this wall plate in West Yorkshire in the UK and think it might be 1970's Italian. I could be completely wrong as my thoughts are purely guesswork, and if anyone wants to correct me and points out that it's purely some cheap Chinese import please feel free to comment. My reasons for the 1970's - mainly the colour - bright & garish which reminds me of some of the colours used by Poole in their Delphis range. Italy. It's signed on the base with what I think is ORAY and an incised number 1780. The 7 in the number is a format normally used in mainland Europe, not really that common in the UK. Also it has a white glaze inside the foot rim, but the rim itself has been left unglazed like Deruta and other examples of italian pottery (I've also seen this on German plates so that could mean nothing). Finally there is also what I think could be the original price label. A small brown label that has the number 1780 again but also what could be L 755 (Lira 755?). As said this is purely all guess work and I'd love to be right but if anyone wants to point out the error of my ways please feel free.

It measures 29 cms in diameter (11.5 inches) and is quite deep at 6 cms (almost 2.5 inches) and weighs almost 1 kg (2 lb 2 oz).

Hope someone can help.

DECORATION ON FACE OF PLATE

1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate Wall%20plate%201%20small_zpsvsha0b62

DECORATION ON UNDERSIDE

1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate Wall%20plate%201%20small_zpsvsha0b62

MARKS ON BASE

1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate Wall%20plate%203%20small_zpsae5pyt4m

PAPER PRICE(?) LABEL

1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate Wall%20plate%204%20small_zpsuyqr7b3z

seandux
seandux

Number of posts : 123
Registration date : 2011-07-17

Back to top Go down

1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate Empty Re: 1970's(?) Italy(?) - can anyone help with this ceramic wall plate

Post by NaomiM September 10th 2016, 12:26 am

Not Chinese. I agree it's European - those holes in the foot rim are typical of European pottery. The white tin glaze on the back, and red and green glazes do look right for Italy/ Sicily, although some 60-70s Hungarian art pottery is also possible. But I can't narrow it down further than that.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31289
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum