White relief jug with Crown and N mark

3 posters

Go down

White relief jug with Crown and N mark Empty White relief jug with Crown and N mark

Post by Johners2000 January 22nd 2017, 10:05 am

Hi, Not my usual thing this but I have this white relief jug which I know is Capodimonte - question is is it early 19th or late 19th early 20th Century. The mark shows that it not modern and the piece has some age marks. Welcome others opinion.

White relief jug with Crown and N mark S-l16041
White relief jug with Crown and N mark S-l16042
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

White relief jug with Crown and N mark Empty Re: White relief jug with Crown and N mark

Post by studio-pots January 22nd 2017, 1:43 pm

It looks nothing like Capodimonte to me and you need to be beware of marks, as they are sometimes not what they suggest they are.

Why do you think what you've said is correct?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

White relief jug with Crown and N mark Empty Re: White relief jug with Crown and N mark

Post by NaomiM January 22nd 2017, 1:44 pm

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31292
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Johners2000 January 22nd 2017, 1:56 pm

The mark looks very simple - I saw this chart and though it looked similar.

White relief jug with Crown and N mark Capodi11
Johners2000
Johners2000

Number of posts : 500
Registration date : 2017-01-04

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots January 22nd 2017, 11:14 pm

On the link that Naomi has put above there is discussion about a crown N mark and mention by me of real Capodimonte being produced in the factory outside of Naples for approximately 100 years (early 18th to early 19th century). I also mention the Ginori factory in Doccia that bought some moulds from the Capodimonte factory and was allowed to make reproductions from the early 19th century with a crown N mark, as shown in your list above.

However, since around 1920 any factory seems to have been allowed to reproduce Capodimonte style wares and use a crown N type mark if they wish. These are often in Italy but, as Naomi states, Germany too and, I suspect, elsewhere.

To me that means your jug is post 1920 but is not in the Capodimonte style, so is marked in that way to pretend to be something it's not. Because of that the mark gives no indication of the factory or country in which it was made.

It makes it interesting from a learning perspective. I also dislike Capodimonte, so think this jug looks better.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7816
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum