Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?

2 posters

Go down

Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Empty Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?

Post by Hierocles May 24th 2017, 12:42 am

I bought this about 25 years ago at an estate sale. It is an absolutely incredible vintage Art Deco terra cotta figural sculpture of a young woman seated in restful meditation with a garland of flowers draped over her lap. It measures is 16" high and rests on a 10 1/2" X 6 1/2" X 2 1/4" rectangular base. It has an incised signature of E. NIKOLSKY.

The only thing I have been able to find for E. Nikolsky are multiple Modernist Dog Sculpture Bookends and a couple of ceramic crackle glazed figural pieces that were made by the Havra Company, or C. H., France but signed by E. Nikolsky. The signature looks very similar on all the pieces that I have been able to find. No information on the artist and nothing really on ceramics or Terra-cotta pieces. Again, all help in identifying this is most greatly appreciated.Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc11
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc13
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc16
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc10
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc14
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc15
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc12
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc17
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc19
Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Decosc18
Hierocles
Hierocles

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-05-19

Back to top Go down

Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Empty Re: Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?

Post by hercules brabazon May 24th 2017, 3:10 am

There was a sculptor called Helen or Elena Nikolsky or Rachkovsky-Nikolsky (1907-1979). She is buried with her husband Afanasy A Nikolsky (sometimes known as "Alexei Nikolsky") in North Hayling, Hampshire. She exhibited as "Helen Nikolsky" at Foyle's gallery, London, in a joint show with her husband in 1959.
https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=gr&GRid=35050369

According to this link the Nikolskys lived in Poland before fleeing to England via France.
http://www.cjharries.f2s.com/%20nikolsky_gallery.htm

Not definite, but worth considering.
hercules brabazon
hercules brabazon

Male Number of posts : 611
Registration date : 2009-08-06

Back to top Go down

Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?  Empty Re: Large Terracotta Art Deco Figural Sculpture, Elena Nikolsky?

Post by Hierocles May 24th 2017, 3:32 pm

Thank you so much for the information! That is the best lead I think I've ever had in my search for information on the name. I will look into it. Whether it pans out as the artist or not it is always exciting to find new information and possible leads.
Hierocles
Hierocles

Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2017-05-19

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum