Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales)

+27
PotteryLover123
Grumpy Grandad
siouxee
22 Crawford St.
LEGSY
Essenjay
clearly
studio-pots
RoyJ99
Karinclark
vanmann
skipposal
lindylou08
RVsaid
NaomiM
gareth-h
Catshome
BrandX
Nik
rosyrutter
Jeffingtons
kgk
Potty Primate
dpbdjm
tenpot
Raine Larcher
big ed
31 posters

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Empty Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales)

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 2:32 pm

Llangollen Pottery (1950-1980?) north Wales; the pottery certainly existed in 1951 - they were invited to have a stand at the town's Festival of Britain trade exhibition in June 1951 but this invite was declined.  Founded by Rhys Powell and wife Jean it was one of the first studio potteries in Wales.  Occupying premises at the Old Waterloo Forge, around 1953-54 moved to Regent Street until closure.
A former slaughter house, among the debris an old sheep's cradle was found, the profile of this was used as the trademark.
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Empty Re: Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales)

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 2:43 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Llan110
8" high
By the late 50's the pottery was floundering . Two young art school graduates Una Dyer and Claire Littleboy took a gamble and cleared old debts and started a new enterprising free form style using local red "terra cotta" clay , the studio opened and flourished,5 or 6 local people were employed.
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Empty Re: Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales)

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 2:50 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Llan310

They won a number of design awards in the early 60's , one of their coffee sets was exhibited at the design centre manchester in 1966. the design was utilised by a number of major staffordshire potteries. by the end of the 60's the girls married and moved on . pottery purchased by Lloyd Thomas family till its closure.
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 2:58 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Llan410
11.5"
Work from the pottery is increasingly being collected early jean powell and the abstract work of misses Dyer and littleboy the most sought after , examples have appeared on "flog it" "bargain hunt" and "antiques roadshow", up to £10-£30 for late examples and £120= for powell/dyer/ littleboy pieces.
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 3:06 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Llan710

Some early wares were not always marked, same applies to experimental pieces by D and L .some have a made in wales mark , some stamped Langollen pottery , and some impressed just llangollen , rarer items powell pottery .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 3:12 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Llan510

Information on the net is non existent about this small but underated pottery ,i tried for ages ,until Langollen museum put me in touch with Colin Hurst who supplied the info gleaned over the years from ex workers and local folks , the vases pictured are mine but similar ones are displayed in llangollen , So many thanks Colin .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 3:15 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Llan210
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 3:24 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Llan610
11.75" high one of my favs , similar in green glaze in millers 2007 collectables Graham Cooley collection , tha..tha..that's all folks Ed Happy
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 3rd 2008, 3:30 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Llan111
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 13th 2008, 12:10 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Gf310
early 1950's piece
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 13th 2008, 12:18 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Gbp210
rare bowl
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed September 13th 2008, 12:19 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Gbp110
Green glaze
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed December 3rd 2008, 2:14 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Wpot10

1970's
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed January 6th 2009, 2:10 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Lll110

Large heavy jug/vase 11" 1960's
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed January 6th 2009, 2:11 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Lll210
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Raine Larcher January 11th 2009, 12:54 pm

Your pots are lovely Ed. I have only one piece of Llangollen and its a little cockerel/rooster (looks French for some reason) ornament that unfortunatley met with something hard and had his head broken off. Its been stuck back on (many years ago) but has never been the same!
Raine Larcher

Number of posts : 92
Registration date : 2008-12-30

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed January 11th 2009, 3:55 pm

Thanks Raine, the larger pieces are getting harder to find and there is a small but growing group of collectors out there , Info is very hard to come by as well ,though one woman emailed for info as she said she was writing a book on the pottery , but who knows when , can you post a pic of the little rooster with the broken head anyway , is there anything written on the base.
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Raine Larcher January 11th 2009, 10:08 pm

If you don't mind my less than professional photography I'll try and photograph it tomorrow as I don't have a pic at the moment. Just had a look at the base and it's unglazed white/cream clay with LLANGOLLEN on one edge of the circular hole in the base and the crib symbol the other side. Oh, the decor is quite free hand painted in a petrol/dark turquoise blue, yellow (ish) and black in a sort of accenting manner rather than completely colouring the piece.
Raine Larcher

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed January 12th 2009, 3:36 pm

It would be interesting to see it , as I have only seen red clay pieces .
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Empty Llangollen Cockerel

Post by Raine Larcher January 13th 2009, 3:33 pm

OK Ed, here it is. It's not the full head that has been broken off and stuck back on but the cockscomb. Just a note, there are two base photos: The first bright one is taken with flash and shows near enough the colour of the base. The second has been enhanced using image manipulation so that you may have a better view of the marks. Look forward to your views. Oh, it's 17cms to the tip of the cockscomb.

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockerelleft1 Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) CockerelRight1 Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockerelfullfront Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockerelheadleft Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockerelheadright Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockerelheadfront Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockereldetail Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockereltopangleleft Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockereltopangleright Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockerelbasecroponly Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Cockerelbaseenhanced

It really is not dirty as it looks in the last base picture!
Raine Larcher

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed January 13th 2009, 6:57 pm

Hi Raine, he is very nice , it's a shame about the breakage, but still a nice little piece of llangollen , ( I like him ),I know they used the local terracotta and now I wonder if they used the white clay on ornamental stuff only, how long have you had him ?
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot January 14th 2009, 11:53 am

they probably used the white clay when slipcasting
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2634
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by Raine Larcher January 14th 2009, 8:13 pm

Hi Ed, we've probably had him about 15 years. We bought him in this condition but we can't remember where. He just was very attractive to us and so we got him. I enjoyed photographing him actually as it gave me the opportunity to really look at him up close again as he 'lives' in the little glass fronted cupboard of our dresser and rarely comes out! I'm glad you like him.
Raine Larcher

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed January 14th 2009, 8:46 pm

Thanks raine Iam going to be on the look out for now , BTW we were in abergavenny market today and I spotted pub ashtrays one was watneys red made by wade and one was Will's gold flake carnival glass, I bought them for £1 each ,I have discovered the carnival is very rare it's in an old carnival book at £125 and that was 10 yrs ago , it's the only english advertising piece of the period , so it was only cause you mentioned ashtrays that I bought them , so cheers for that Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) Jh210
Cheers
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 31st 2009, 3:15 pm

Powell and Llangollen Studio Pottery (Wales) 01510

early llangollen , quite rare
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 5 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum