Poole Backstamp Conundrum?

2 posters

Go down

Poole Backstamp Conundrum? Empty Poole Backstamp Conundrum?

Post by Last Chance January 11th 2009, 11:24 pm

The following is a real oddity, but Anne Wilkinson (author of Poole Twintone and Tableware) and I are trying to determine this very odd backstamp.

This queery has also been posted on two other pottery forums, so apologies if you come across the duplicated topic.

The item was purchased in Canada - Poole did export there - but the impressed Poole mark is not known. So why the Royal Norfolk overstamp?

We have hypothosised over possible reasons: a trial piece; a forgery or fake; a test piece designed by Poole, but produced by Royal Norfolk; another 'Poole' pottery, based in, or around Poole, etc.

Could it be a small company, trying to emulate Twintone, and sell their wares illegally to Royal Norfolk? Has anyone ever seen similar markings?

The thing that intrigues me, is why impress it in the first place, and then stamp it? I can’t really see a known maker of pottery deliberately faking another maker’s piece of tableware, and then putting its own mark on it!

The final point is why bother? OK, so it is an unusual shape (but definitely not from Poole), so what would the perpertrators gain from this? Was it some form of scam?

Any views would be most welcome in trying to solve this mystery! With luck, if it can be solved, I will try to include the result in the book.

Poole Backstamp Conundrum? 461-tw10

Poole Backstamp Conundrum? 461-tw11
Last Chance
Last Chance

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-10-14

Back to top Go down

Poole Backstamp Conundrum? Empty Re: Poole Backstamp Conundrum?

Post by dantheman January 12th 2009, 2:12 pm

I have asked a Royal Norfolk dealer if they know of any other cases,I'll post the answer on this thread when they reply

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15417
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Last Chance January 12th 2009, 6:30 pm

Dan: Thanks.

Ed: Possibly: I think the answer has been uncovered on another forum.

This piece could have been made by Royal Staffordshire, whose Managing Director is Normal Tempest - I believe he owns The Lifestyle Group? Anyway, The Lifestyle Group purchased the rights to Poole Pottery. So this cpuld be a link to the Thomas Poole (who founded? Royal Staffs), or it could be linked to the purchase of Poole Pottery.

Either way, I now think it is NOT a fake, but simply taking advantage of a name, that the company has rights to!
Last Chance
Last Chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Last Chance May 29th 2009, 9:01 am

Thought everyone would be interested in the following post by Anne Nichols, from another pottery forum:

David, I've just found another shaped piece which I think may help solve the puzzle:
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Antiques-collectables/Art-deco-retro/Home-d%C3%A9cor/Plates-bowls-dishes/auction-219367997.htm - again it's marked Royal Norfolk, but with an impressed CONISTON this time, which I'd suggest is the shape name, so your one could be shape name POOLE. I bet there was a whole set of these done by Royal Norfolk with such names!

To this I suggested that it was almost certainly a shape definition, but with the possibility that they are stylistically shaped to resemble the various locations!
Last Chance
Last Chance

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum