Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate

3 posters

Go down

Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate Empty Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate

Post by P.W.Modern April 26th 2009, 9:30 pm

Hi,
I bought this ceramic- well actually it's terracotta, plate with an abstract fish design on it. The seller said that it was "Raymor" but that the sticker had come off. Anyway, there is a signature on the front that looks kind of like it might be "Erik" or some Scandinavian name. I love this plate and would be ever so happy if anyone happens to know anything about it. Thanks!

Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate Erik_f13

Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate Fish_p14

P.W.Modern
P.W.Modern

Female Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2009-03-24

Back to top Go down

Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate Empty Re: Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate

Post by Pip April 26th 2009, 10:17 pm

Raymor were a company that commissioned and imported pieces of mostly Italian pottery into America so they didn't, as far as I know, make anything themselves. Your fish looks very 60s in style but not particularly Italian - I don't recognise it however. Are there any markings at all to the underside?

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate Empty Re: Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate

Post by P.W.Modern April 26th 2009, 11:40 pm

I know Raymor was largely a distributor of Italian pottery. I was saying that all the information I had was that it was sold as "Raymor" and it has this signature. I don't think they made anything themselves either. I'm sorry if I was not clear. There are no markings to the underside.
To me the signature looks like it could either be "Erik" or like that might be another letter in between the E and the r. Maybe "Eerik"? Or another possibility could be that the first letter is a W at an angle. I've wondered if there is a way that someone can look up the different potters/artists/ceramicists that sold their wares through Raymor around that time. I tried to look that up but did not come up with anything.
P.W.Modern
P.W.Modern

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip April 27th 2009, 7:30 am

As far as I know there's little information publicly available about Raymor and the potteries they bought from - it's a slow learning curve for all of us basically. About the only thing I can say with any certainty about your dish is that stylistically it would date to the 1960s - I'm not convinced it's Italian personally.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by P.W.Modern April 27th 2009, 3:48 pm

I agree about it not looking Italian. I think the signature might be Scandinavian. I just found out that Raymor actually did import a lot of Scandinavian items in the post war period. Here's what I found...

http://www.answers.com/topic/raymor
P.W.Modern
P.W.Modern

Back to top Go down

Post by P.W.Modern April 27th 2009, 3:57 pm

I was wrong about Raymor not making anything themselves. As it turns out, the paragraph on answers.com says that after 1947 Raymor created ceramics,lighting and glass in it's own factory with many of the items being designed by the company's founder, Irving Richards himself.
P.W.Modern
P.W.Modern

Back to top Go down

Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate Empty same artist

Post by sticknobills November 3rd 2013, 4:57 pm

I have a plate from the same artist.
Does anyone know now whe he/she is?

Help identifying signature on Raymor ceramic abstract fish plate 00111
sticknobills
sticknobills

Male Number of posts : 19
Registration date : 2012-12-08

http://www.flickr.com/photos/50962429@N02/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum