+4
skay
Nic
Pip
Davee
8 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes Empty Buffalo dish The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes

Post by Davee December 20th 2009, 11:53 am

Heavy blue glass shallow dish with stylised Buffalo/Bison 11cm x 11cm x 3 cm, any thoughts?

Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes Bull_t10

Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes Bull_t11
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-26

Back to top Go down

Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes Empty Re: Buffalo dish The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes

Post by Pip December 20th 2009, 6:41 pm

That's interesting. I think we should start off by discounting Erik Hoglund who made similar lumps of glass with impressed designs on for Boda (see Hoglund thread) for the following reasons - I don't believe that pale blue is a particularly Hoglund(ish) colour - although I do have a lilac bottle vase; the design of the buffalo is too detailed and isn't in his trademark primitive/naive style; it would almost certainly be signed if it were. I'm wondering if the buffalo design might point to an American manufacturer perhaps?

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes Empty Re: Buffalo dish The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes

Post by Davee December 21st 2009, 9:46 am

I have to agree Pip I was thinking American or maybe Canadian as well, you wouldn't expect to see a Buffalo on European pieces.
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic December 21st 2009, 12:59 pm

It's a bison - and Americans don't have buffaloes. The buffalo is found only in Africa and Asia, and looks quite different to the bison.

There are, however, two breeds of bison - the American bison and the European bison. But it's hard to divine the species illustrated on this dish as the two animals are very similar, superficially.

Most European bison are to be found down Poland way, which also produces a lot of glass. Just a thought.

Natural history lesson over! Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 314189
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee December 21st 2009, 2:06 pm

So therefore Buffalo Bill should be Bison Bill....... unless he was Polish of course!
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip December 21st 2009, 3:37 pm

Is there no end to your talents Nic! :-) I never had you down as a David Attenborough type - I'm hopelessly lacking in knowledge regarding animals, I'm a bit squeamish and most things make me go 'urgh'. Animals usually either snarl, hiss or bite when near me - I must be giving off dem negative vibes.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by skay December 21st 2009, 3:41 pm

But Pip, I'm sure it was you who taught me how to tell a Sealion from a Seal?

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip December 21st 2009, 3:44 pm

oh the ears thing? LOL

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip December 21st 2009, 3:46 pm

Re: bisons vs buffaloes - I know I wouldn't wanna mess with a Cape Buffalo - nasty bad tempered boogers they are.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic December 21st 2009, 4:00 pm

I love natural history and its various offshoots - I hardly get around to reading fiction these day as I've usually got some biology book on the go - currently 'The Structure of Evolutionary Theory' by Stephen Jay Gould (I hugely recommend it).

That said, I remember the buffalo/bison distinction from an episode of QI. Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 88711
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot December 21st 2009, 4:20 pm

I have endless arguments about the use of language, in literature the American bison is called a buffalo dromadaries are called camels (I think they are one humped camels but tell that to a frenchman) then the french call ,what the rest of the world call penguins,: manchot except of course in most literature stictly speaking a french penguin lives in the northern hemisphere and can fly
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2634
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 21st 2009, 4:35 pm

Nic wrote:I love natural history and its various offshoots - I hardly get around to reading fiction these day as I've usually got some biology book on the go - currently 'The Structure of Evolutionary Theory' by Stephen Jay Gould (I hugely recommend it).

That said, I remember the buffalo/bison distinction from an episode of QI. Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 88711

such a lot of rot is spoken on QI, many of the 'facts' are merely the latest fad theory or just intellectual masturbation

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic December 21st 2009, 4:40 pm

tenpot wrote:...then the french call ,what the rest of the world call penguins,: manchot except of course in most literature stictly speaking a french penguin lives in the northern hemisphere and can fly

Yup, a French 'Pingouin' is a Razorbill in English - a type of large Auk. They do, however, look and act a little like Penguins thanks to convergent evolution.

dantheman wrote:such a lot of rot is spoken on QI many of the 'facts' are merely the latest fad theory or just intellectual masturbation

True, they do tend to hit up Google a little too readily for some of their research, but they were right about bison at least. Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 212118
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip December 21st 2009, 4:43 pm

... and Stephen Fry was terribly sweet to my Mum at the recent Noel Coward Appreciation society dinner
( Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 88711 sorry Dan, couldn't resist it!)

Last edited by Pip on December 21st 2009, 4:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 21st 2009, 4:44 pm

you never can Pip..you never can Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 770577

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip December 21st 2009, 4:48 pm

one hates to disappoint (sorry about all this wibble in your ID thread Davee Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 314189 )

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee December 21st 2009, 6:52 pm

Well thanks for Nic's Natural History Hour but can we get back to the glass now Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 314189
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic December 21st 2009, 6:54 pm

Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 27912
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolyn Preston December 22nd 2009, 1:13 am

Nic wrote:It's a bison - and Americans don't have buffaloes. The buffalo is found only in Africa and Asia, and looks quite different to the bison.

There are, however, two breeds of bison - the American bison and the European bison. But it's hard to divine the species illustrated on this dish as the two animals are very similar, superficially.

Most European bison are to be found down Poland way, which also produces a lot of glass. Just a thought.

Natural history lesson over! Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 314189

While this is all very true, the animal depicted on this piece of glass is generally referred to (erroneously, but what the hey) as a buffalo. Used to roam the range in both the American Plains and the Canadian Prairie (the only difference being what side of the 49th parallel they are on).

Are there not glass works in Ohio or so. That's the midwest and would definitely know the buffalo/bison. And I believe there are beers using the buffalo/bison as a symbol. Perhaps this was an advertising paper weight.

Carolyn
Carolyn Preston
Carolyn Preston

Female Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee December 22nd 2009, 8:25 am

Good call Carolyn, i'll do some searching on that one.
Davee
Davee
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Carolyn Preston December 23rd 2009, 1:26 am

A beer that used to be local to Calgary (where I'm from) -- before it was bought out by a national brand -- used the head of a buffalo/bison for it's insignia.

Carolyn
Carolyn Preston
Carolyn Preston

Female Number of posts : 704
Registration date : 2008-02-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic December 23rd 2009, 2:29 am

And on this side of the pond there's Zubrowka Vodka - a Polish tipple flavoured with Bison Grass. Very yummy stuff, and I believe it has a bison logo although, understandably, my memories of the packaging are a little hazy at best.
Buffalo dish  The Royal Antediluvian Order of the Buffaloes 910958
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Davee March 28th 2012, 11:36 pm

Apparentley this was a special order made by Whitefriars and according to what I read there are only 3 known examples, shame I sold mine for next to nothing at Malvern after carrying it round the fairs for a year with no interest. Shock Waaah

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free April 11th 2012, 7:43 am

I can't think there are only three known examples as I have seen two of them, but anyway. It was made for a society, 'the order of the...' maybe Bison? or Buffalo? of which I have read up , but now cannot remember the name. I will have a trawl and see if I can find the info again.
m
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free April 11th 2012, 7:50 am

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Antediluvian_Order_of_Buffaloes
here you go
m
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum