owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design

4 posters

Go down

owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design Empty owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design

Post by flying free April 1st 2010, 12:28 am

I've seen two of these come up on ebay which is making me wonder whether they are new (ish?).
Mine has no marking. I can't describe the making properly, my apologies, but it seems the two halves were pressed into shape and then joined to each other. There is a mould line all the way down the sides and across the bottom. Whatever it is, I think the graphics are wonderful. Any help or ideas much appreciated. owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design 212118
Many thanks
m
owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design Owl_an10

owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design Owl_an11

owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design Owl_an12
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design Empty Re: owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design

Post by dantheman April 1st 2010, 1:29 pm

I was tempted to bid on one last month but decided against it due to a lack of maker's mark.
These are quite attractive pieces and have a similar appeal to the Scandinavian pottery produced in the 1960's,I think if they are bought as decorative pieces with no other expectations then they are a good buy Most Excellent

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design Empty Re: owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design

Post by skay April 1st 2010, 2:42 pm

It looks 60s-70s but Edward Lear first published the poem in 1871. It was definitely popular in the 60s-70s when I was growing up.

I loved the 'Runcible Spoon' which apparently is: A small fork with three prongs, one having a sharp edge and curved like a spoon.

Oh! and the £5 note.

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip April 1st 2010, 3:08 pm

There's nothing about it that's screaming contemporary production to me - I'd be fairly confident (without knowing more about the piece) to suggest it's from the 60s/70s as Sue has already suggested. The fact that you've seen a couple up on eBay could be down to the fact that one was put up for sale and other people who also had one saw it perhaps? It happens.

It doesn't look Scandi to me - I think it's probably British ...

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free April 1st 2010, 4:19 pm

thanks all owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design 212118
Pip, I definitely think it's British and I bought it because that is one of my very favourite poems from my childhood, fond memories (60's/70's but not 1870's! owl and pussycat - modern? lovely graphic design 88711 ) and I love reading it to my kids! Glad to know you feel it's older rather than something being produced now en masse.
I have to say though the graphics are so gorgeous I would buy it even if it was being produced in the millions I think.
thanks again everyone
m
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum