Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery?

3 posters

Go down

Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery? Empty Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery?

Post by jamseyboy3777 Thu Jul 01, 2010 8:40 am

My girlfriend found this pretty little Art Deco jug, all we know is that the factory had a relatively short life, just 12 years trading closing in 1935, and that the date mark is for 1927

Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery? Img_1314

The three dots with a line through them are a bit puzzling, artists monogram??

Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery? Img_1315

As are the light patch (near rim) and small dark spot (on body), Bad restoration?? Factory second??

Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery? Img_1316

Any information regarding the piece or factory would be very
helpfull,

Thanks all
jamseyboy3777
jamseyboy3777

Male Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-07-01

Back to top Go down

Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery? Empty Re: Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery?

Post by Davee Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:58 am

I know it was set up to provide work for ex-service men and that a lot of the pieces were designed by well known designers of the day including Phoebe Stabler, wife of Harold Stabler of Carter Stabler Adams aka Poole Pottery. I think you will find the moon symbol is a date code for a particular year. The 3 dots are Spur Marks left by the stilts used to support pottery in the kiln.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery? Empty Re: Anybody have any information on Ashstead pottery?

Post by Davee Thu Jul 01, 2010 10:01 am

I presume you've found this page already James, but i'll put the link on anyway.

http://ashteadpottery.com/index.html

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 2212
Registration date : 2009-07-27

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed Thu Jul 01, 2010 9:37 pm

Small half page feature in 20th century ceramicson ashtead pottery , Principal designers , Percy Metcalfe, Phoebe Stabler, William reid Dick, Joan Pyman,Donald Gilbert, Allan Wyon, other than what wares they produced , some pics ,dates etc. it's pretty much just some of the info that's in the link Dave provided.
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by jamseyboy3777 Fri Jul 02, 2010 7:21 pm

Thanks for your help guys
jamseyboy3777
jamseyboy3777

Male Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2010-07-01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum