Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie

4 posters

Go down

Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie Empty Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie

Post by nickbug August 14th 2010, 3:14 pm

Hi

After recently buying one of Miller's Collectibles, although I was mainly interested in the Glass information, I was really taken by the section on German ceramics. Today I purchased my first piece in a local antique shop. It is by Bay Keramik. The marking on the bottom says 'W. Germany Bay 84 25' and stands 10 inches or 26cm tall. I was interested in finding out a bit more and did some searches on the net. I did find one other with the same stamp mark but the background glaze was described as 'mushroom' rather than the red glaze of mine. I suppose I am most interested in knowing the year and maybe the name of the designer if that was possible. But anything anyone could tell me would be welcome as I am here to learn. The dealer had the vase priced at £25 but let me have it for £20. It seems in very nice condition so was that a reasonable price to pay?

Grateful for any help. Photos below.

Nick
Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie German001

Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie German002
nickbug
nickbug

Number of posts : 28
Registration date : 2010-08-14

Back to top Go down

Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie Empty Re: Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie

Post by Guest August 14th 2010, 3:39 pm

Hi Nick,

I would guess at 1970's and that you probably paid all the money for this piece. Could be wrong.

Back to top Go down

Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie Empty Re: Bay Keramik Vase -- Please help a complete newbie

Post by nickbug August 14th 2010, 3:50 pm

Rob

Many thanks for such a quick reply. All the money is fine by me.

Nick
nickbug
nickbug

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman August 14th 2010, 4:06 pm

a very nice piece Nick,well worth the money imo

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15414
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed August 14th 2010, 4:40 pm

I would say your vase is 1960's , you will see the same form /shape but with different glazes, the more colourful the glaze the more desirable among collectors, their cheif designer was Bodo Mans , but I doubt he designed this one , I agree with Da,I think you got it for a good price , Ed
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Frillo August 14th 2010, 4:51 pm

the 25 means that the Vase is 25 cm tall. Year of making is somewhere in the early 1970ies. But you will hardly find out the name of the designer, mostly a member of the design department.
Frillo
Frillo

Male Number of posts : 188
Registration date : 2008-08-08

http://www.lavaguys-ceramic.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by nickbug August 15th 2010, 12:33 pm

Thanks for the replies. Great to just learn about the '25' on the base. Looks like I didn't do too bad for a first purchase.

Got my eye on a floor vase from the same place now.
nickbug
nickbug

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum