Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper

3 posters

Go down

Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper Empty Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper

Post by cubby01 September 5th 2010, 7:52 pm

Hello folks, I arrived here because I ran across a very similar set of S&P shakers posted by Pip here > https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/plastics-synthetics-f44/1970s-melamine-tablewear-by-laurids-lonborg-denmark-t3709.htm

Pip's were melamine or plastic but these are wood. They have a 'japan' sticker (not shown) on them so I initially assumed they are lacquer ware but not positive. They are 3 and 4 inches tall, the larger having a diameter about 2.5 inches.

They strike me as Danish mid century modern but the Japan label throws me. Could it be produced in Japan for a Danish design company?

Any assistance in determining the age and maker, or the even a hint on the maker's mark would be greatly appreciated. Thanks. -Buck aka Cubby01

(additional pictures are hosted on imageshack here.)

Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper Img0956a
Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper Img0957e
Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper Img0960g
Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper Img0963wx
cubby01
cubby01

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2010-09-05

Back to top Go down

Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper Empty Re: Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper

Post by Nic September 5th 2010, 8:23 pm

Organic modes of design were pretty much a worldwide phenomenon from the 1950s onwards, so I see no real reason to link them to Danish production.

They're very nice, though.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper Empty Re: Mid Century Design Lacquer Ware Salt and Pepper

Post by cubby01 September 6th 2010, 5:06 pm

Thanks Nic. I'll stick to mid-century then.

They were really a nice surprise. I immediately liked the shape when I saw them but they had so much kitchen grime - fry grease mist mixed with decades of dirt and dust - that I didn't think they would even clean up let alone shine the way they do.
cubby01
cubby01

Back to top Go down

Post by bitofbutter October 15th 2010, 4:02 am

Hi there,

It's a Takahashi label, a mid-century designer known for flower-power ceramics as well as this type of stuff. Lots of the pieces have little gold labels, but some also have that stamp. If you look carefully you can see the TH CO! (And just google the name and vintage and you'll find examples of his label.)
bitofbutter
bitofbutter

Female Number of posts : 17
Registration date : 2010-10-15

http://www.etsy.com/shop/bitofbutter

Back to top Go down

Post by cubby01 October 15th 2010, 2:22 pm

Thank you bitofbutter, I have some ceramic pieces with this logo on it as well. Great to know what it is. -Buck
cubby01
cubby01

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum