Gregory Tingay, sgraffito decoration, G mark

2 posters

Go down

Gregory Tingay, sgraffito decoration, G mark  Empty Gregory Tingay, sgraffito decoration, G mark

Post by climberg64 July 15th 2011, 10:43 am

Born in Zimbabwe, Gregory finished his education in England. He read Art History at Cambridge and was a Bendictine monk for 18 years.
Gregory has trained under some of the most distinguished potters of the 20th century. At Buckfast Abbey, he was apprenticed to Mary Boys-Adams (nee Gibson Horrocks), a pupil of Bernard Leach, and at Quarr Abbey, Molly Attrill was his mentor. Gregory worked and taught at Dartmouth Park Pottery in North London for ten years. Hauser and Wirth, Somerset, have selected him as their Artist in Residence the summer of 2019

Another of the Dartmouth Park Pottery potters, Gregory Tingay was taught at the Buckfast Abbey Pottery (as Brother Alexander) by Mary Gibson-Horrocks who had previously worked with Bernard Leach. I'm told that she took many of the photographs of Leach at his wheel.

Gregory Tingay, sgraffito decoration, G mark  P1000322
Gregory Tingay, sgraffito decoration, G mark  P1000323
Gregory Tingay, sgraffito decoration, G mark  P1000324

This is a small vase of his with a geometric scraffitto pattern. I think his work is highly original. Beautiful carved base.
climberg64
climberg64

Number of posts : 1256
Registration date : 2010-01-20

Back to top Go down

Gregory Tingay, sgraffito decoration, G mark  Empty Re: Gregory Tingay, sgraffito decoration, G mark

Post by dantheman July 15th 2011, 12:08 pm

I love it! Reminds me of Michael Andersen's designs

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum