Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal

4 posters

Go down

Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal  Empty Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal

Post by Dunc November 22nd 2011, 12:21 pm

Bought this piece in Belgium several years ago and have never been able to find out anything about it.  It is ceramic sculpture of a stylised bird which has then been mounted on what I think is an alabaster/marble base.  The whole thing stands over 40cm tall, and is very heavy due to the bit of rock stuck to it!  It does have an impressed mark in the side, but never been able to find anything online about it.  Last weekend saw another version that was larger and had two quails on it, but although the dealer suspected it was norwegian, he had no clue as to who made it.

Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal  Norway13

Someone must know...it is so distinctive!

Thanks in advance

Duncan
Dunc
Dunc

Male Number of posts : 29
Registration date : 2011-11-21

Back to top Go down

Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal  Empty Re: Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal

Post by Dunc November 24th 2011, 7:52 pm

I hope that I am in the most appropriate section. It is my first time so steep learning curve and all that. Embarrassed
Dunc
Dunc

Back to top Go down

Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal  Empty Re: Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal

Post by Potty November 24th 2011, 8:08 pm

Hi Dunc,

The section is correct, just as of yet none of us know who made it either.

I can say that I think it is very nice and looks to have been well made, I too would have said Norwegian.

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by R.Ferrao November 25th 2011, 11:37 am

Hi, this is a sculpture made by Jorge Mealha, a contemporary portuguese ceramist who lives and works in Algarve.
You can find out a little more about him here:
http://www.galerie-gerhard.com/mealha_unique9596.htm
R.Ferrao
R.Ferrao

Female Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2011-05-25

http://ceramicamodernistaemportugal.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Potty November 25th 2011, 1:02 pm

Good spot Most Excellent

Potty
Potty

Number of posts : 3675
Registration date : 2010-09-28

Back to top Go down

Post by Dunc November 25th 2011, 4:26 pm

Thank you so much R.Ferrao and Potty. I have had it for about three years and had given up trying to find out more about it until I saw a similar one at a vintage design fair.

Wasn't even close with Norwegian!
Dunc
Dunc

Back to top Go down

Quail Sculpture by Jorge Mealha, Algarve, Portugal  Empty Identification of "Quail sculpture"

Post by Art baby maluca November 26th 2011, 9:29 pm

Hi, the sculpture in question is by the Portuguese artist "Jorge Mealha" it was made in Lagos Portugal in our studio. For further inforation please see our web site. jjmealha.com
Art baby maluca
Art baby maluca

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-11-26

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum