Ruhlmann nest of tables maybe?

2 posters

Go down

Ruhlmann nest of tables maybe? Empty Ruhlmann nest of tables maybe?

Post by Becky Watson November 28th 2012, 11:15 pm

I've collected odd pieces of 20th century furniture for about 20 years, mostly to fill a house designed in 1957. There are a few that have always had me stumped, ie I've no idea where they're from or who made them. This little nest of tables is metal with brass edging and feet.The top is some sort of laminate. On a site about Emile-Jacques Ruhlmann the French designer, there are a few sketches of very similar tables. I wonder was there a company making copies somewhere? I bought them from the estate of a European Diplomat, they look to be at least 50 years old, but if anyone could help me out I'd appreciate it.[img]Ruhlmann nest of tables maybe? Ruhlma23[/img]
Becky Watson
Becky Watson

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Ruhlmann nest of tables maybe? Empty Re: Ruhlmann nest of tables maybe?

Post by studio-pots November 29th 2012, 10:37 am

Although your nest of tables do appear to have been based on a Emile-Jacques Ruhlmann design the materials from which they are made are far more inexpensive than those that Ruhlmann used. I have seen one of his similar shaped tables that has a marquetry inlay top in very rare woods with bronze legs that are partly silver plated. Something that I imagine would cost a fair bit!

There are companies creating similar expensive work based on Ruhlmann designs to this day, using similar materials to those that he used.

Your tables certainly appear to fit in with the age of your house but I imagine that, because they are based on an earlier style, that it would be difficult to find the company that manufactured them unless there are any clues (labels etc.) on them.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Becky Watson November 30th 2012, 2:05 am

Thanks for that. Yeah it would be nice if they had some makers mark.
Becky Watson
Becky Watson

Number of posts : 4
Registration date : 2012-11-21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum