Gdub
studio-pots
horsefly
big ed
9 posters

Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty Warren Mackenzie Interview

Post by big ed December 3rd 2011, 12:13 pm

http://www.aaa.si.edu/collections/interviews/oral-history-interview-warren-mackenzie-12417

some might find this interesting , i enjoyed his thoughts about the time spent at St Ives
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty Warren MacKenzie

Post by horsefly January 12th 2012, 7:49 pm

Hello,
Thank you for any help with the following question.
I have a set of three bowls, approximately 4 1/4" in diameter, with an unknown mark. I've attached photos of one of the bowls, and a close-up of the mark.
I'm new to your wonderful site and forum, and truly appreciate any help regarding ID-ing the bowls and any additional information about the potter, etc.
Warren MacKenzie (USA) Dscn0413
P.S. I'm trying to upload a photo of the bowl, but am having a bit of a challenge. I'll post the photo of the mark, and will try to add another photo. Sorry for the inconvenience!
horsefly
horsefly

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2012-01-12

Back to top Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty Photo of the bowl

Post by horsefly January 12th 2012, 7:52 pm

Here's the bowl! :)
Warren MacKenzie (USA) Dscn0420
horsefly
horsefly

Back to top Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty Re: Warren MacKenzie (USA)

Post by studio-pots January 12th 2012, 8:45 pm

It looks like the last UK mark that Warren MacKenzie used when he was working at Dartington in 1963. Did he continue with the mark when he went back in the States? Noting where you live, I suspect the answer is yes.

(Edited NaomiM-) This mark is Warren and his wife Alix's personal monogram, used in the 50s-early 60s.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty You are awesome! Thank you for the information!

Post by horsefly January 12th 2012, 9:03 pm

Thank you for such a wonderful and fast response! Ironically, I purchased the bowls at auction years ago along with four petite Bernard Leach tiles. I've always cherished the items, but now see the similarities in their influence. With your help, I found the identical mark online for a bowl by Warren and Alix MacKenzie, circa 1950s. Again, thank you so much!
horsefly
horsefly

Back to top Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty Are these pieces by Warren MacKenzie?

Post by Gdub September 6th 2012, 4:09 am

Saw a mark similar to this when I was looking at pottery the other day on ebay, but I don't always believe what I read on eBay. That would be great if it was. Now only couple of hundred pieces left to identify!

[img]Warren MacKenzie (USA) Imgp1517[/img]
[img]Warren MacKenzie (USA) Imgp1518[/img]
[img]Warren MacKenzie (USA) Imgp1519[/img]
Gdub
Gdub

Male Number of posts : 49
Registration date : 2011-12-08

Back to top Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty Warren MacKenzie (USA)

Post by skipposal March 27th 2013, 6:30 pm

Born 1924, MacKenzie doesn't need much introduction given his apprenticeship with Bernard Leach in the early 1950s. I really only collect UK studio pottery but wanted an example of his work just to see what all the fuss was about! To tell the truth I was a teeny bit disappointed when it arrived, it's a bit lacking in character.

I think this simple white rice bowl was made quite recently given its condition and the fact it is stamped, he didn't use a stamp for long periods apparently. More information on his Wikipedia page Warren Mackenzie wiki page. The bowl is wheelthrown and manipulated stoneware. 7cm (height) 14cm (diameter).

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Id236_10
Warren MacKenzie (USA) Id_no_78
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 28th 2013, 3:23 pm

This small bottle was made by Warren. I have tried to show the mark but it is covered in glaze and is slightly clearer in reality.

(Edited-NaomiM): The mark is as shown in 2nd edn of the BSPM and attributed to Dartington, 1963, but is missed out of the 3rd Edn. Maybe Hazlewood thought it was the Stillwater mark. Actually it's Warren and his first wife Alix's personal monogram that they used in the 50s-60s in both the US and UK.

Warren MacKenzie (USA) W_mac10

Warren MacKenzie (USA) W_mac_10

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by skipposal March 28th 2013, 6:27 pm

Much nicer!
skipposal
skipposal

Female Number of posts : 598
Registration date : 2013-02-07

http://Www.kegriffiths.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 28th 2013, 8:12 pm

They do have a thing about him in the States but of the North American potters that worked at the Leach Pottery the Canadian, John Reeve, is my favorite (well this is the N. American thread).

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty Re: white bowl

Post by Calusa January 15th 2014, 2:40 am

The stamp mark shown for the white bowl is actually a mark used by Warren and Alix MacKenzie (his wife). They have not been together for a long time, and I don't really know if she is still alive; but the mark itself indicates that is an earlier piece. Frankly, I don't know what all the fuss IS about. I think his work is boring.
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by matted June 23rd 2014, 4:27 pm

Hate to leave the last post on Mackenzie one so negative! Truth be told, I once thought his work to be dull as well -- when I was a young, cocky and opinionated artist attending the U of M, and Mackenzie could often be found passing through the halls of the old art building with a considerable entourage. It wasn’t until years later, when I came across a piece of his in the wild and brought it home that I was able (ready?) to appreciate the quiet masterful beauty of his work.

Many more pieces down the road, and I am only more and more impressed. Over the years I have owned many pots by many potters, and Mackenzie's are consistently some of my favorites. Yes, some are better than others, and as a production potter he often repeats shapes and glazes, but I find even the smallest and fastest pieces to be extremely well executed, humble and tasteful, and I have yet to find myself bored by his refined shapes or palette of glazes.

Perhaps you may consider the possibility that the more one is acquainted with a potter's work, the more one many be able to appreciate it -- that may explain the "thing" we have "about him in the States" as his work is more prevalent here. After-all, we all know that seeing a piece online is nothing like using and handling a piece in person. A last thought to consider: how do you explain the large number of talented and successful potters whom have worked under him and whom still accredit their tutelage to him if the breadth of his work is so easily summed up as merely "boring"? A mass of misguided (MN) mingei lovers?  

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Img_6110

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Img_6111

As for the mark above, it does appear to be the early mark that was used with his first wife Alix, who passed in 1962. She did much of the glazing up until then and some of her earliest engraved and painted abstract design work is truly a joy!
matted
matted

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-10-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 9th 2018, 12:39 pm

Warren MacKenzie (USA) C24b8d10

Warren MacKenzie (USA) 610df210

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM January 1st 2019, 7:17 pm

Warren Mackenzie sadly passed away yesterday

Warren MacKenzie (USA) 77c55e10

World-famous Minnesota potter Warren MacKenzie dies at 94

By Alicia Eler , Star Tribune
December 31, 2018 - 5:01 PM
For Minnesota potter Warren MacKenzie, each new work was imbued with a special message for its eventual user.

“It is only when the user feels the presence of the hand of the potter that communication truly exists,” he said in the 2013 documentary “Warren MacKenzie: An American Potter.”

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 29th 2021, 2:12 am

Early vase by Warren Mackenzie.
Although the marks are partially covered in glaze I compared it to this set of Mackenzie’s marks and the lines match up -

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Caf1e210

The A or horseshoe mark is Warren and Alix Mackenzie's early mark.
The LL or HLL is the Longlands Pottery mark where he was potting with Glenn Lewis c.1961-62.
The Pottery at Hannock Longlands in Devon was set up by John Reeve and Glenn Lewis in 1961 after Reeve got a Canada Council grant; Reeve used his own version of the Longlands Pottery mark but Glenn used the same one as Warren.
Glenn returned to Canada in 1962 (although some bios say 1964).
Warren is listed as potting in Dartington in 1963-64 after Alix's death.

Warren MacKenzie (USA) 8e0fe310

Warren MacKenzie (USA) 96e3ea10 Warren MacKenzie (USA) 9f416c10 Warren MacKenzie (USA) 93268b10 Warren MacKenzie (USA) Cd05cd10

Last edited by NaomiM on June 15th 2022, 8:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM June 15th 2022, 8:52 pm

I think it may be by Tinni Arora.
I dont think Warren Mackenzie was using the M stamp until later. And he would have been making traditional Leach pots rather than ones like this. Far more like Tinni’s miniatures

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Empty Warren Mackenzie but where?

Post by Neil62 May 13th 2023, 6:23 pm

Warren MacKenzie (USA) Image46
Warren MacKenzie (USA) Image48
Warren MacKenzie (USA) Image47I recently acquired this vase - it’s provenance at auction was that it was a Leach pottery vase.
There are two marks on the pot which was dirty.
Once cleaned it was apparent that the mark which was described as St Ives was actually an old Warren Mackenzie mark c 1950’s.
I have gone boggle eyed looking at his pottery on the internet and researching where he worked …ie Leach, Stillwater, Dartington lecturing etc but I cannot find a similar mark to identify the pottery.
The decoration is not unique for Warren Mackenzie but unusual. What I have enjoyed is reading / researching about him. Seemed a very decent man!
The pot seems to have all the appropriate attributes for Mackenzie - internal glaze, colour and cheesewire marked base. The round impressed marks are also similar to ones I’ve researched.
Anyway if anyone has any ideas as to how I might identify the mark I would be grateful. I have looked at sites in America who curate / collect his work but thought I would ask on the forum prior to going down through that route.
Neil62
Neil62

Male Number of posts : 345
Registration date : 2022-04-04

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 13th 2023, 6:30 pm

You might find the mark on The Marks Project website of American Studio Pottery Marks. Otherwise there’s the Studio Pottery Collectors group on Facebook where someone posted photos from a booklet of Mackenzie’s marks

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 May 13th 2023, 6:35 pm

Hi Naomi,
Scoured the marks project no gain but happy to try Facebook!
Thanks
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 14th 2023, 10:27 am

Just realised the marks on the US group were for John Reeve not Mackenzie. I’ve posted them on the Reeve thread

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 May 14th 2023, 11:00 am

Hi Naomi,
I was just working that out myself as I was reading down the pages but that doesn’t matter.
Naomi your enthusiasm and research striving to be correct is extraordinary.
I had a great response from Mike Sanderson which as always was helpful - I think you are kindred spirits with regards your attention to detail!
I have composed an e mail to Jeff Oestrich this morning thinking it could have been when he was in the states.
Do you think that worthwhile?
Mike mentioned he’d looked in three books he had but couldn’t find any reference to it.

If I am completely honest I bought the piece blind and without viewing the mark but the listing mentioned Warren Mackenzie at the Leach which got my attention.
I thought it might have been JL from the photographs.
I was gutted when it wasn’t Leach but pleased when I realised it was early Warren Mackenzie. It doesn’t always work out that way!!
Anyway thanks for your help as always!
Kind regards
Neil62
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 14th 2023, 7:22 pm

Looks like something he’d have made in the U.K. so Oestreich may not know, but fingers crossed he does

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 May 14th 2023, 7:34 pm

Hi Naomi,
He’s with John Bedding and Roleof - I’m not sure whether they are visiting him in the states or he’s still over here.
I’ll let you know the result if he gets back to me.
Kind regards
Neil62
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 14th 2023, 9:49 pm

There is a mark in the BSPM book of M over W which I've never seen an example of. I wonder if this is it, and it was originally misdrawn? Although, saying that, this looks more like a slightly squashed box.

The horseshoe mark next to it is Warren Mackenzie's and his first wife Alix's personal monogram, used c.1952 to the early 60s. Alix passed away in 1962 so this pot would date from that 10 year window - which is why I doubt Oestreich will know it.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Neil62 May 14th 2023, 10:10 pm

I’d seen that Naomi, bizarrely whilst this mark doesn’t appear in the book I have seen research in America which showed my mark as used by Warren between 1952-1963 and another mark being used by the Stillwater pottery.
From what I remember the marks were found in some lecture papers catalogued by a society in the form of slides in Minnesota I think.
On a bleaker front Jeff’s initial thought was that the mark (on my pot) was used like the Leach stamp - for Warren’s pottery at Stillwater.
Ie that potters working there would just use the stamp as a pottery mark and it is the other mark (to the left) which was the personal mark.
He did mention a few potters but it isn’t their mark - John Reeves, David Stannard being two. I could understand it being Reeves as Warren referred to him as a sort of soul mate but didn’t like working with other potters (his wife Alix, being the exception as she decorated his work)

I just looked and found it was a pin on Pinterest which you posted.
I can see how what Jeff says makes sense but without identifying the other mark we’re no further forward and as you said earlier it is feasible it was created whilst he was over in this country.
At least if it was a potter at Stillwater Warren preferred to work alone and didn’t have the workforce of the Leach over the years!
Thanks
Neil62
Neil62
Neil62

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum