teapots with mysterious grooves under

4 posters

Go down

teapots with mysterious grooves under Empty teapots with mysterious grooves under

Post by potterybeginner Mon Feb 17, 2014 10:45 pm

Hello  Happy 
I have a question about a glazed teapot, a "brown betty", which i have found in secondhand. It is 10cm high and 16cm from handle to tip. Inside it (and under) is a light brown colour used and ourside is a darker brown used. The underside of it is formed with grooves. I found five different teapots with grooves in internet. They did not look the same, some had the same dark colour and some had the same light brown glaze. I think the grooves are because it is made for having it heated on gas stove or on a candle. Those teapots were marked R (Reinsberg?) and number 60, one was described as Carstens, Tönnieshof, some had DDR or GRD (east Germany). But mine does not have these marks. Instead there is a stylized bird shape. Photos below.

Does someone recognize the teapot and can say what company that have made it and the age?

It would be fun if people could post photos of their teapots with grooves in this thread, with photos in profile, the lid and from the bottom. So that it be like a photo collection and we can then see how many different variants there are. Also new information to the different teapots is welcome.

Are there other ceramic artifacts with grooves under?

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030012

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030014

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030013
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2014-02-17

Back to top Go down

teapots with mysterious grooves under Empty Re: teapots with mysterious grooves under

Post by NaomiM Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:47 pm

I have not seen a teapot with grooves before. I wonder if they were made to fit on a metal trivet.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31471
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

teapots with mysterious grooves under Empty Re: teapots with mysterious grooves under

Post by brin mcardle Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:51 pm

Very interesting
brin mcardle
brin mcardle

Number of posts : 2717
Registration date : 2011-06-18

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:40 pm

Yes, it could be intended for a trivet construction, and a candle under. The trivet could have been made from metal or same material. And grooves for helping to direct the fire evenly.

Are there enamel or metal boiling pots with grooves made for gas stoves?
Maybe for white spirit burner stove?
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM Tue Feb 18, 2014 8:48 pm

Not in the UK, as far as I know. We all have smooth bottoms.  Cheeky Embarrassed 

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31471
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Wed Feb 19, 2014 10:31 am

oh. hihi Happy 
In Sweden we have glazed.
photo below a Kockums enamel coffee pot for wood stove.
teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030015
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Fri Apr 04, 2014 8:16 pm

Hello
I have found one more mysterious teapot with the same bird marking under. It is larger, 13cm high and 22,5cm from tip to handle. It has two stripes of light bands as decor below the lid. The underside is with grooves and only the centre is glazed. The number 6 is impressed and the number 5 is in black colour.

When look again on the first teapot it seems that it too could have a number on it, a diffuse impression near the bird mark.

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030110

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030111

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030112

Below both teapots together:

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030113

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030114
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by styleinvasion Sat Apr 05, 2014 2:02 am

they look german
styleinvasion
styleinvasion

Number of posts : 1348
Registration date : 2010-12-11

http://adorabilis.com

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Sat Apr 05, 2014 8:26 pm

Yes, It is possible. There are similarities from teapots from Reinsberg/R teapots. Colours and the grooves. The shape of the lid tops are sometimes similar.

The general truncated pear-shape i have not seen on Reinsberg/R teapots.  

Below is one teapot from Germany. Ostmark-keramik, and number 36. The number 36 looks similar in style as the numer 5 on the larger teapot with grooves.

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030115

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030116

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1030117
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:56 pm

A clue?  Pondering 

The small teapot is very similar to a teapot made in Japan, nr 112.
It is marked: made in Japan and:

Epi Curio Ming Tea Company Hartford Conn

if search on the above it gives photos of these nice teapots, with different brown glaze from light to dark.

They are similar in size and have same shape of lid top, the general pear-shape, a dorsal broad flattened surface of the spout (112 seems to variate with round spout), the spout is litle truncated at base.

They differ in that the lid has no hole. Handle is not dorsally flattened and straight, no curved area just at where the lid is positioned. The spout is lower attached.

Could it have been model for the small bird-mark teapot? Or is it the opposite?

Last edited by potterybeginner on Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling)
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:43 pm

Here is one tea-pot with grooves. It is unmarked. It is glaced in center of bottom and partly on the grooves. I have seen tea-pots with same shape and grooves but not with this decor. Those had mark from East Germany.

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1040010

teapots with mysterious grooves under P1040011
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:40 pm

hi
I post an update on the teapot-mystery.

I have always seen the mark as a bird/swallow. But from help by an expert i see it is a bowl and a fire-flame, indicating that it can be under fire. The grooves indicate this function. Grooves occur also on coffepots and on different cooking plates.

The shape and material closest to these teapots (according to me) can be foundd in Rheinsberg tea- and coffepots.

I have so far found three different models with this mark.

model number one:

teapots with mysterious grooves under Jp103011

teapots with mysterious grooves under Jp103010

potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:49 pm

model number two:

teapots with mysterious grooves under 10301110

teapots with mysterious grooves under 10301310
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by potterybeginner Thu Feb 21, 2019 12:56 pm

the model number three i dont know if can post if i found it on a webpage?
the link is:
https://picclick.de/Kleine-Teekanne-Keramik-Spritzdekor-143053871174.html

same photos:

https://www.ebay.de/itm/Kleine-Teekanne-Keramik-Spritzdekor-/143053871174?_trksid=p2047675.m43663.l44720&nordt=true&rt=nc&orig_cvip=true

i have afew more interesting photos on very similar teapots which i have collected from internet also and dont know if can put here?
potterybeginner
potterybeginner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum