Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends?

3 posters

Go down

Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends? Empty Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends?

Post by Thomas July 2nd 2016, 6:56 pm

Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends? Walric18
Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends? Walric17I cannot find another like it to compare......
Thomas
Thomas

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Back to top Go down

Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends? Empty Re: Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends?

Post by Mordeep July 5th 2016, 6:06 am

Difficult to attribute value because so much depends on the way you sell something and to who. I would guess as a nice pair of art deco looking bookend figures people would like them. But I have no clue about how many collectors this maker has and how keen they would be to obtain them. I would look at a popular online auction site and try to judge what an average price for a Walrich items was. If I came across them though and wanted to buy them I think they would cost me about the same as an ok meal without wine at a local restaurant, not a fortune.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends? Empty Re: Is there any value to this pair of Walrich Pottery Figurines or Bookends?

Post by NaomiM July 5th 2016, 9:34 am

I always check completed listings on eBay.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31471
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Thomas July 5th 2016, 5:55 pm

NaomiM wrote:I always check completed listings on eBay.
Thank you for your response.  and looked at the completed listings on ebay and there is just 1 item there. It is a tile that went unsold. In the active listings there are just 2 listings......a bowl for 149.00 and a tile with an asking price of almost 500.00.......neither are selling but there is not much out there from this company. They were in business from 1922 until 1930........I am guessing they are bookends
Thomas
Thomas

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2010-07-11

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 5th 2016, 7:04 pm

Liveauctioneers website also gives past sale prices

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31471
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep July 5th 2016, 10:42 pm

You can spend your whole looking at ceramics and still see a new maker everyday. I am not surprised you have found little about them. Just under 10 years life seems to about average for most potteries from about 1880 through to 1940. It seems to about the time most run out of money and give up.

That kind of means you have to value them by design, age and origin not maker.  I would suggest looking for American made bookends from the 20's/30's. Discount those that have extreme values due to who made them and you should get an idea of the market.

..................................................................................................................................................................................

OK SCRAP ALL THAT STUFF BEFORE.

Turns out Americans are as mad as hatters and have a passion for what they call the Golden age of American art pottery. Walrich falls into what is regarded as one of the rare and desirable producers from that period. They produced tiles and as you know figures. A very quick google will show you more than you could ever wish to know about Walrich and other American art potters. Not sure how quickly yours would find a buyer but similar Fulper bookends from the period are advertised up to $500. Looking this up has certainly expended my knowledge, similar small factory English or European ones would be about $50, seems like a bit of USA sunshine adds a zero to that.       

This site has some links to examples of American art pottery for sale.
http://www.acstickley.com/category/art-pottery/walrich-pottery/
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum