A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face

3 posters

Go down

A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face Empty A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face

Post by RVsaid July 1st 2018, 9:29 am

Hi

Picked this up this morning, 8.5 inch along the side china clock face. It has impressed coding marks on the back but nothing that helps. There was a mechanism for a pendulum clock on the stall and it had a key with a maker's name S something with an umlaut lowercase a letter after it. So German or Swiss I would have thought but no guarantee the key, the mechanism and the face were all made in the same country.

Anyways, completely forgot to note the key maker name so no help really.

Can anyone gauge the age of the face from the hand painted numeric styling or the stamped marks?

Any worthy considerations, greatly apprecitated.

A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face P1320412
A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face P1320413
A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face P1320414
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face Empty Re: A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face

Post by studio-pots July 7th 2018, 11:46 am

It looks to me like the kind of things produced by the Eichwald Pottery in Bohemia. Besides produce their own wares such as the Art Nouveau/Jugendstil ceramics that they are most famous for that produced ceramic "additions" for other wares such as this. I know them for producing ceramic bases etc. for WMF metalware. The number codes of the back look correct and, if not them, then I would suspect a rival from in or around Germany.

The number font looks "modern" to me so I would go for 1930s, although it's just an educated guess and could be earlier or later - so first part of the 20th century!

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face Empty Re: A bit off of topic but the place to ask still - Re a China Clock Face

Post by RVsaid July 13th 2018, 8:06 am

Cheers S P that all fits in well. I eventually plumped for 1910-1930's - I'm thinking about buying a mechanism for it and using it myself as has a definite look to it. I'll probably see it in the background of an old Laurel and Hardy film or in a Talking Pictures afternoon film :0)
RVsaid
RVsaid

Number of posts : 1460
Registration date : 2012-08-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Mordeep July 13th 2018, 9:39 am

Must agree with the German/Austrian attribution. Whenever I set that typeface I think of those countries as they produced so much with them.
Mordeep
Mordeep

Male Number of posts : 847
Registration date : 2015-06-05

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum