Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction

5 posters

Go down

Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction Empty Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction

Post by NaomiM March 28th 2019, 10:23 am

From Josse Davis:

4th April 2019
Bellmans Auctioneers are holding their first Studio Potters Auction. Much of the works have come from the estate of the late Clare Sutcliffe, who having trained under Seth Cardew came to know many potters and acquired an extensive collection. I have also included work of my father Derek Davis, along with my own,

https://www.bellmans.co.uk/sales/sussex-antiques-sales/apr2019/view-lot/2051/#i

Last edited by NaomiM on March 28th 2019, 10:51 pm; edited 1 time in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31603
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction Empty Re: Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction

Post by dantheman March 28th 2019, 10:46 am

my absentee bids went in last week, a rare chance to get my hands on these pots

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15426
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction Empty Re: Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction

Post by philpot March 28th 2019, 2:17 pm

The Clare Sutcliffe pieces might well struggle. The market for Cardew pupils is quite variable at the moment. As is the whole Leach/ Cardew field. Rupert Spira being the exception.
Seems that a lot of provincial auctioneers are getting in on the Studio pottery bandwagon. Whether they will all succeed is another matter. Not too many 'big hitters' in this auction.
Nice Derek Davis. Will be interesting what price the big bowl pieces make. With estimates at £1000+, and ancillary charges....Buyer's premium, Saleroom fee, VAT, Artist 4% fee. You would be looking at substantial money to buy those.

philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6451
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman March 28th 2019, 2:29 pm

I found a lovely Derek Davis vase in another auction, it should be selling any time now

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15426
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 28th 2019, 7:28 pm

That the one in Malvern?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Josse March 28th 2019, 9:18 pm

The Clare Sutcliffe pieces are worth watching. Showed Micheal OBrien them the other day and he was very impressed. There's some wonderful works by her. Sad she had to stop due to illness and turn to painting.
Josse
Josse

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2019-03-14

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots March 29th 2019, 8:35 pm

Michael was always very supportive of Clare. I think he helped build her kiln and he did persuade me to include her work in a 3 person wood-fire exhibition I held in September 2000.

A number of people might well have pieces of her work in their collection without knowing it, as her C mark was similar to that of Joanna Constantinidis. I have seen numerous pots by her being offered for sale as "unusual and/or early Joanna Contantinidis" over the years.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7812
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 5th 2019, 7:25 am

Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction Img_3846Bellmans: Clare Sutcliffe’s Studio Pottery Collection one day auction Img_3913

So which is which?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 5th 2019, 10:29 am

The top one is Sutcliffe’s, imo. It’s a bit flatter than Joanna’s

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31603
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum