Walter Horsnell

4 posters

Go down

Walter Horsnell  Empty Walter Horsnell

Post by Adrian Horsnell July 19th 2019, 7:49 pm

I was very pleased to find this forum and to learn that a number of people are interested in my father's art. It occurred to me recently that I should share with you some photos of some of the paintings in my collection. I'll try to do this on a fairly regular basis and here to start with are two paintings from very different eras as well as a picture of my Dad painting at Knaresborough in Yorkshire.  I hope you like them. Adrian

Walter Horsnell  Walter10
Walter Horsnell  Knares10
Walter Horsnell  Snow_a10

The painting of Knaresborough is actually a pastel rather than a painting. In the photo he is painting the same scene  but in watercolour. The painting of St Paul's cathedral in the snow after the blitz was probably painted in 1942 or later after some of the debris had been cleared away.
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2012-03-10

Back to top Go down

Walter Horsnell  Empty Re: Walter Horsnell

Post by tenpot July 20th 2019, 11:27 am

thankyou great photo
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell July 20th 2019, 11:57 am

Glad you liked them - I'll put some more up next week.
A
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 20th 2019, 12:22 pm

yes please, that would be interesting

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell July 20th 2019, 12:58 pm

Thanks Dan. I particularly like the caption at the bottom of your message - the one about changing your mind when you understand what's happening and you don't like it - very true.
A
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman July 20th 2019, 1:16 pm

glad you like it, I just need to persuade the Tory leaders and half the voters

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15421
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by Alex M September 12th 2019, 4:27 pm

Hi Adrian,

I bought this oil painting recently (photos below). I was wondering if you would know any additional information about it?

I believe it is by your father Walter Horsnell, I have seen some of the information you have already provided on this forum about your father which was very interesting indeed.

I think the painting may be of lower Nidderdale with Hampsthwaite in the distance? It looks like the tower of St Thomas a Becket church, and I read this was a popular spot for your father.

Best regards,

Alex.  

Walter Horsnell  S-l16010
Walter Horsnell  S-l16011
Alex M
Alex M

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2019-09-12

Back to top Go down

Post by Adrian Horsnell October 3rd 2019, 10:46 pm

Hi Alex,

I'm sorry to have taken so long to reply to you, life has been a bit hectic lately our son has just finished an MSc and started a new job in Cambridgeshire so my wife and I have been spending a lot of time helping him settle into his accommodation.

Your picture is very frankly a mystery to me, I'm sorry I don't recognise the location. When you suggested Nidderdale I was initially sceptical because it's a fairly bleak winter scene and Wharfedale (which was the other dale which he painted as much as Nidderdale) seemed like a more likely candidate because I've always considered it the bleaker of the two dales -  Nidderdale to me is somehow "softer". Having said all that, I now think you may be right; the mix of fence and hedging which you see on the right hand side of the road is I believe more common in Nidderdale  -  Wharfedale seems to be  much more predominantly dry stone walls.  

Hampsthwaite church is a church with a square tower as is the one in your painting (but there are many square towered churches in Yorkshire). For many years the clock face was red but I think it had been changed when I last visited Hampsthwaite  - can you see what colour the clock face is in your painting?.

I can't remember much of the detail of the surrounding countryside but I don't think the surrounding hills are particularly high. I've had a look on Google maps to see the view from Clint Bank  but that doesn't look quite right I've also had a look at the view from Elton Lane and there is a section of hedge/fencing there but I'm by no means sure  that that is what we're looking for.

You may have noticed that there is another member of this forum (Carl Williamson) who used to live in Hampsthwaite so I'll invite him to comment.

I'm sorry I haven't got you any further forward all I've given you so far is  conjecture.

Best wishes
Adrian
Adrian Horsnell
Adrian Horsnell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: