+4
dantheman
22 Crawford St.
NaomiM
croker
8 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

paul rice at adam partridge auctions - Page 5 Empty Re: paul rice at adam partridge auctions

Post by abstract*toad August 1st 2021, 4:09 pm

Interesting sale. Very surprised with some of the items given stand alone space, as has been commented on previously.
He was a lucky boy with some prices realised on certain pieces.
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Number of posts : 699
Registration date : 2021-04-23

Back to top Go down

paul rice at adam partridge auctions - Page 5 Empty Re: paul rice at adam partridge auctions

Post by NaomiM August 1st 2021, 4:21 pm

Just seen in a FB group that there were some keen American bidders; the association with Rice's name added extra weight it would seem. Although, tbh, I’d never heard of him before this auction.

Last edited by NaomiM on August 1st 2021, 7:29 pm; edited 2 times in total

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31545
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 1st 2021, 4:40 pm

I know that he had a number of American buyers in the past, as some of them found me too. However, the ones that I know have either died or stopped buying pots, with the exception of a couple who are still buying. One did discuss the auction with me a few weeks ago and said that he would be bidding. Maybe him having supplied important American studio pottery collectors in the past holds sway in the States.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad August 2nd 2021, 12:27 pm

NaomiM wrote:Just seen in a FB group that there were some keen American bidders; the association with Rice's name added extra weight it would seem. Although, tbh, I’d never heard of him before this auction.

I hadn't heard of him until I enquired about a piece he was selling on eBay, going back eight or nine years ago.
I wanted more pictures, but he seemed to believe his name did away with any need to satisfy my concerns. Suffice to say I did not return.
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 2nd 2021, 3:20 pm

abstract*toad wrote:
NaomiM wrote:Just seen in a FB group that there were some keen American bidders; the association with Rice's name added extra weight it would seem. Although, tbh, I’d never heard of him before this auction.

I hadn't heard of him until I enquired about a piece he was selling on eBay, going back eight or nine years ago.
I wanted more pictures, but he seemed to believe his name did away with any need to satisfy my concerns. Suffice to say I did not return.

Now you mention it I came across the same seller and had the same experience. I dont think I bothered buying anything off him either. There are a couple of sellers like that on there now; I wonder if he's one of them.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. August 2nd 2021, 4:24 pm

Lol - I once emailed him about a Kenneth Clark piece he had for sale on ebay ......
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad August 2nd 2021, 4:26 pm

Hahaha, why am I not surprised by that Naomi.
He's probably lost a few customers down the years. Maybe he has a different attitude to people now, I hope so.
I remember another chap who was trying to buy a couple of Moorcroft candlesticks from me. I think I had them on at around £90 buy it now. Salt glazed, signed by William, mint condition.
He wanted them cheaper and I said something along the lines that he was being rather tight.
He advised me that I was very rude and should treat potential buyers with more respect. He then went on to say that I would be surprised if I knew who he was and that he was on the antique roadshow.
After I'd yawned long and hard, I wished him farewell and added him to my long list of blocked buyers.
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 2nd 2021, 4:32 pm

Big Laughter

I once had a US buyer make a fuss and took ages to pay. When it came to leaving feedback I waited until he'd left feedback first, and then said 'getting money out of him was "like pulling teeth"'. He was not happy Laughter

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad August 2nd 2021, 4:43 pm

Laughter that's lovely, poetic.
abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 2nd 2021, 5:09 pm

Speaking as a dealer, I think many dealers can be a pain in the a*se and some are as dodgy as hell (please include me in that, if you wish). However, auction houses, who have taken over the dealer's role to a greater degree in recent years have generally always been worse and remain so, from my personal experience.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by abstract*toad August 2nd 2021, 5:57 pm

I think there's good and bad (to varying degrees) right across the board, in my opinion.
Good and bad aren't the right words to be fair, too generalised, not fair to blanket categorize really.
For all the horror stories I could mention (from my eBay experience), there have been way more pleasant experiences / transactions and by and large I don't mind eBay.
It's a big old world and standards, expectations, ego's all vary from one to the next. For me personally, I don't like it when people set themselves above others, for whatever reasons, and I sometimes tend to let those folk know what I think, to varying degrees, rightly or wrongly.

I cannot comment on your good self studio (as a dealer), but I would say you come across as a gent from my experience with you on the forum. Always grateful for your input 👍

Auction houses have changed considerably over the last 10 years. I'd be surprised if there are many left that aren't online.

abstract*toad
abstract*toad

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 2nd 2021, 6:19 pm

Tbh, I dont really care what ebay sellers are like so long as they pack the item carefully. Far too many times I've recieved items in boxes that are barely big enough to fit them, and only by the luck of the Gods the item wasn't smashed in transit.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots August 2nd 2021, 6:46 pm

abstract*toad wrote:I think there's good and bad (to varying degrees) right across the board, in my opinion.
Good and bad aren't the right words to be fair, too generalised, not fair to blanket categorize really.
For all the horror stories I could mention (from my eBay experience), there have been way more pleasant experiences / transactions and by and large I don't mind eBay.
It's a big old world and standards, expectations, ego's all vary from one to the next. For me personally, I don't like it when people set themselves above others, for whatever reasons, and I sometimes tend to let those folk know what I think, to varying degrees, rightly or wrongly.

I cannot comment on your good self studio (as a dealer), but I would say you come across as a gent from my experience with you on the forum. Always grateful for your input 👍

Auction houses have changed considerably over the last 10 years. I'd be surprised if there are many left that aren't online.

I have had a couple of rich customers actually trying it on with me face to face and suggesting that, as a dealer, I should be grateful for their custom and their pathetic offer. They don't do it because the price is too high, or because they can't afford it but because they want to feel superior. So it's just like your experience. They get the same answer from me and never darken my door again.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot August 3rd 2021, 12:32 pm

I just find it is really not worth the effort getting arsy with people on Ebay. There has always been a small proportion of nasties, but then so is there in normal life.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6433
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 1st 2023, 12:59 pm

I see Paul Rice is on the British Studio Pottery group on FB offering visits to see his personal collection

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 1st 2023, 3:17 pm

Not sure that is a good idea. All very helpful and all but my first thought is security, don't really want to tell people what you have and where it is and who you are.

Do you think he's trying to get offers? What did he say?
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by croker May 1st 2023, 3:29 pm

According to my wife who is a member of the pottery facebook ,Paul Rice says he also has a number of unwanted pieces for sale.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 1st 2023, 3:33 pm

Thanks Croker - he has something I want. Only ever seen three of them and he has a signed one, I have second and the third is in the book. He took the hump when I lowballed him for it on eBay.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 1st 2023, 4:43 pm

Paul Rice wrote:Hello All
Well, after 2 years of transition we have finally resettled and I am pleased to say that I have managed to display the vast majority of my collection - despite murder threats from my otherwise wonderful wife.
So, if any of you are in the vicinity of Frome in North Somerset, and want to see a collection of over a 1000 pots (about 90% British 20th century) you are welcome to get in touch .
There are also at least 200 I will be parting with - mostly functional pieces by top potters - if anyone is interested. Need to clear pots out so I can buy more.

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 1st 2023, 6:20 pm

TY interesting - I'm not of FB but will try an old email I have for him.

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 2nd 2023, 10:03 pm

Emailed him and he replied today. Seems he wants people to visit as the post above, tbh it's probably the easiest way to sell to get everyone to come to you. I can't easily make it to Frome so I had to pass on a visit.
22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 2nd 2023, 10:20 pm

My mum’s not far from Frome so I could visit on your behalf if there’s anything in particular you wanted me to check out from his stock. I wonder if he’s selling at retail or bargain prices

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. May 2nd 2023, 10:27 pm

Nah I did not want to go speculatively if you get my meaning. Did not want to go all that way to find it's not what I wanted - would feel like I had to buy something. I would rather know what was on offer and the price range before I went - it's a whole day for me. So there could be something I want but if he values it a x2 what I do then I would prefer to know this before I travelled to avoid a wasted journey. He wants to do it that way - it's his choice, not for me.

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot May 3rd 2023, 9:49 am

The interesting phrase in his Feeback notice is 'mostly functional pieces by top potters - if anyone is interested'
Trouble is, there is normally a good sprinkling/large surplus of functional by top potters in most top studio pottery auctions nowadays. Jim Malone at Partridge's for instance. Moreover there is also a fair amount on Ebay normally.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6433
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM May 3rd 2023, 11:42 am

No worries. If I pop in then I’ll take photos (if I’m allowed).

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum