Rose Hilton

3 posters

Go down

Rose Hilton Empty Rose Hilton

Post by croker December 1st 2021, 8:13 pm

Rose Hilton artist was the wife of the St Ives abstract artist roger Hilton ,she never really flourished as an artist until the death of Roger who would never allow her to paint, saying there was only room for one artist in this house and that was him, despite this  and his alcoholism she stayed with him until the end . In his last  bedridden years he relented and allowed her to paint, she was a friend of the abstract artist Sandra Blow and Terry Frost and his wife. She sold through Messums gallery , her art  was not for the abstract although she did venture into this area but the painter Bonnard was her inspiration. Roses painting  i have posted is of Ida Kelarova the famous gypsy jazz singer.Rose Hilton Pb300010
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Rose Hilton Empty Re: Rose Hilton

Post by philpot December 2nd 2021, 8:24 am

A talented lady. Are we seeing the whole painting in that photo?
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6433
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker December 2nd 2021, 10:50 am

Hi Philpot, Yes all of the painting, it's out of its frame at the moment ,a smallish painting it measures 30x20 inches approx. We have had a number of Rose Hiltons paintings in the past and i find them attractive but her husband Rogers are more in keeping with the period. We have a large example by Rose in one of her more abstract moods. The price gulf in Rose and Roger's paintings is wide, where even a scribbling daub by roger can fetch far more than the best of Rose.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 3rd 2021, 2:05 pm

I sold some studio pots to David Brown, who in his later working life had been an art curator at the Tate. It was when I delivered the pots to his home that I first came across Rose's work. It would have been around 2000 and before then I had never heard of her. Down his hall he had over a dozen late works by Roger Hilton, which I commented on and then he showed me a couple of Rose's paintings and told me the story that you have above. Although I tend to like abstract rather than figurative work they did appeal to me at the time.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum