Tony Birks book

4 posters

Go down

Tony Birks book Empty Tony Birks book

Post by croker February 25th 2022, 7:20 pm

A recent book titled 'Encounters with Ceramic' is the complete writings, essays etc from Tony Birks. An interesting book and a good read, there are essays on many potters from all periods. Tony Birks book P2250010
croker
croker

Number of posts : 681
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Tony Birks book Empty Re: Tony Birks book

Post by studio-pots February 26th 2022, 10:29 am

I did meet Tony Birks a few times when he ran the Alpha House Gallery in Sherborne and my studio pottery education owes much to the books that he wrote or part wrote from the late 1960s onwards. These I still have.

Therefore do you know if this book is made up of extracts from his previous books or is largely previously unpublished material?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by croker February 26th 2022, 12:25 pm

The book is made up of reviews ,obituaries, for ceramic magazines here and in France etc for most of our leading potters with some exceptions.Tony Birks book P2260010 paper back only available.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by 22 Crawford St. February 26th 2022, 3:09 pm

Is he married to Pat Birks?

https://www.haymakers.co.uk/pat-birks

22 Crawford St.
22 Crawford St.

Male Number of posts : 5607
Registration date : 2009-12-19

http://www.briglin.com

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot February 26th 2022, 4:50 pm

I looked at that book and thought the same that Studio did.Given his books, was it worth buying? It seems as though it probably is.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6443
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker February 26th 2022, 5:06 pm

I have most of his books but i found this one most readable as it is a collection of essays and reviews that Birks wrote throughout his career, i like his style of writing as he tends to write how he feels rather than just being nice and gives insights into the potters characters and thoughts. He was a great supporter of the Sainsbury centre and his collection was given to centre by his wife although for some reason it's not on show at the moment. My only quibble about the book is that it's not available in hardback although at £20 it's not going to break the bank .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 5th 2022, 7:57 pm

Just got the book today, and have read a couple of the articles. Very good and informative writing. Thanks for the recommendation Croker.
Funnily enough I have some photos on my computer from yonks ago of his collection at The Sainsbury's Centre. I had not posted them because I had not known which was which. Laughter
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6443
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by croker March 6th 2022, 10:39 am

Glad you liked the book ,i found it enjoyable reading , the review and obituary on Henderson was of particular interest to me as i have been trying to gather information on him to find out what made Henderson  tick. The Birks collection is in storage at the moment i believe.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum