Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please

3 posters

Go down

Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please Empty Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please

Post by Roobarb July 2nd 2022, 2:44 pm

Hello, this piece seems rather old, wear and splits to wood. It's musical and the little winder is on the back. I can't find anything similar or any info on it at all, I can't even place the origin from the dancer's clothing. Dutch maybe? Any ideas at all about this piece, in regards to origin, age etc would be much appreciated :)

Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please Img_7815
Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please Img_7817
Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please Img_7816
Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please Img_7921
Roobarb
Roobarb

Number of posts : 574
Registration date : 2020-07-03

Back to top Go down

Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please Empty Re: Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please

Post by Jarl August 18th 2022, 11:44 am

Wasn't sure if you've had any luck on this item's ID yet, but, I think it's Italian. There's a similar musical tray on ebay. The inlay is either intarsia or marquetry, I get them confused, but I've seen a lot of Italian woodwork employing that method/style of inlay. I thought the figures looked Spanish at first. I have a painting by Enrico Frattini and the figures on your piece remind me of the figures he painted. I can't tell for sure but they look painted on?
Jarl
Jarl

Male Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2022-08-16

Back to top Go down

Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please Empty Re: Musical wooden tray, hand painted dancers help please

Post by Roobarb August 18th 2022, 12:42 pm

Thank you Jarl :) Someone else has told me it was Italian, they heard the music it plays and apparently it's St Lucia. Yes, the figures are painted and behind glass.
Roobarb
Roobarb

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM August 18th 2022, 1:28 pm

Looks like Italian Sorrento ware

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31553
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Roobarb August 18th 2022, 4:58 pm

Thank you - I'll look into that!
Roobarb
Roobarb

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum