THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023

3 posters

Go down

THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023 Empty THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023

Post by philpot April 1st 2023, 12:11 pm

THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023 Img_0959
THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023 Img_0960THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023 Img_0961

STUDIO CERAMICS by Alun Graves  6 April.£65.00 456 pages. 1152 illustrations.
             I was lucky enough to pick this one up on Ebay at a goodly discount. The first new edition for 30 years.  An absolute Treasure trove of information on British Studio Ceramics. A gorgeous book for the Studio pottery enthusiast. A large step up from the 1993 edition. Nearly all the photos are in colour and this edition is 160 pages longer. Perhaps my only criticism is that some of the photos taken against a dark background arn't as clear as they could be.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6441
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023 Empty Re: THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023

Post by NaomiM April 1st 2023, 12:15 pm

It's a shame they don't include a photo of the potters' marks. They don't bother on the Museum's website either.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31585
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023 Empty Re: THE NEW CATALOGUE OF THE V&A STUDIO POTTERY COLLECTION 2023

Post by croker April 1st 2023, 2:30 pm

Interesting that you obtained an advanced copy philpot, i have tried after seeing a couple on EBAY only to be informed the release date is April 6th, i have ordered a copy but not yet received, i don't think the absence of marks is important.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 681
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 1st 2023, 5:08 pm

I would agree with your comments about photos of the marks. They actually describe the mark of many of the pots. But not for quite a few. A glaring inconsistency.
For a book that is going to be a reference book for many years to come, the above is just Not good enough.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker April 1st 2023, 5:18 pm

Can't say i feel the same ,i think potters marks are the least interesting aspect of the collection .
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 1st 2023, 9:30 pm

I think its overall mayor importance is going to be as a Reference book Coker. The 1990 edition was certainly used as one. In many aspects it is excellent.Its Bibliographic notes are invaluable. There are nearly 50 Henderson references for you to chase up for instance.
As regards marks. Many Potters changed their marks over the years, and often various parts of their careers and style. It was useful in the 1993 book to be able to look at the signatures and to be able to match them with the pictures. One cannot do that now.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM April 1st 2023, 9:44 pm

Without an accompanying photo of the mark you’re relying on the museum curators’ attribution, and we all know they make mistakes.

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31585
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by croker April 1st 2023, 9:46 pm

I think it's great that the V&A by publishing this catalogue and showing the Batterham exhibition seem to be taking studio pottery seriously unlike the Sainsbury centre who have now put their Coper and Rie into storage (never to be seen in my lifetime again i suspect).
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 2nd 2023, 11:07 am

Now that is sad in the Sainsbury Centre. Lisa Sainsbury must be turning in her grave. That is the trouble with most Museums nowadays, they want to be seen as Hip and fashionable.
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by croker April 2nd 2023, 11:53 am

Yes the Coper's and Rie's were Lisa Sainsburys pride and joy and it seems a bit disrespectful to hide them away in a store,however i am assured that there will be a couple of pieces on display and have been told if i wish to view them they are now online , strangely the museum has just acquired three new pots by women potters through arts funding,two by Alison Britton and one by Liz Fritsch, apparently to balance the gender inequality in the museum.
croker
croker

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot April 4th 2023, 12:32 pm

Its interesting to see how much more expensive books can be on the supposedly 'Cheap' Amazon.
This book is £61.75 on Amazon. You can get it for £41.88 on Ebay. Both free postage. Recommended price is £65.00.
I must admit I never make Amazon my first Port of Call for most things lately!

philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum