Rosebery’s auction with ceramics from Deirdre Burnett's estate

3 posters

Go down

Rosebery’s auction with ceramics from Deirdre Burnett's estate Empty Rosebery’s auction with ceramics from Deirdre Burnett's estate

Post by croker Mon Jun 12, 2023 5:07 pm

There is an interesting design sale coming up on the 4th July at Roseberys auction London. This sale has a fair number or Deirdre Burnett pots mainly in multiples from her studio ,which i imagine is a probate sale also included are number of pieces by Poncelet an artist that doesn't seem to turn up very often. https://www.roseberys.co.uk/design-since-1860/2023-07-04
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Rosebery’s auction with ceramics from Deirdre Burnett's estate Empty Re: Rosebery’s auction with ceramics from Deirdre Burnett's estate

Post by philpot Mon Jun 12, 2023 7:41 pm

Thanks for the link Croker. Deidre Burnett died last August. and this would her estate sale. The best of her work is associated with what Paul Rice called 'The frilly Knickers' school of potters from the 1970's. Led by Mary Rodgers and including Ursula Morley price and early Peter Simpson. Now the trouble with this work, is that it is incredibly fragile. I have some of her work. One  got  broken  just in handling it. So a good deal of those multi-lots ate going to have condition problems as they come from way back in the 70's. Yet while mostly all the rest of the studio  has condition pottery reports the multi lots are ask for condition resorts. If I was thinking of bidding I would need to inspect them personally.
          The Jaquie Poncelet look very nice. I showed them to my wife, and she saw the glint in my eye. But she Said  NO! NO! we have got enough. Rosebery’s auction with ceramics from Deirdre Burnett's estate 1f602
           Some odd estimates there. The Winchcombe piece which just has the Winchcombe mark on it they say is probably by Ray Finch and they  have an estimate of £300-£500 on it which is ludicrous! Same for the Wenford Bridge item with just the pottery mark on it as being probably by Michael  Cardew.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6432
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Rosebery’s auction with ceramics from Deirdre Burnett's estate Empty Re: Rosebery’s auction with ceramics from Deirdre Burnett's estate

Post by croker Mon Jun 12, 2023 8:01 pm

As you say philpot condition is everything in these frilly pieces and personal inspection is a must ,i find this work interesting but its not for me.I could be tempted by one of the Poncelet pieces though but i have been buying quite heavily recently so it's probably a no from me at the moment.
croker
croker

Number of posts : 675
Registration date : 2021-01-20

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot Tue Jul 04, 2023 1:22 pm

A couple of the Jacqui Poncelet went around £2000. A few of the Deidre multi lots went over £1000. But most of the rest of the Burnett pieces were fairly subdued. Several unsolds. The estimates for the Burnett pieces were somewhat off the mark. A fairly subdued sale.
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6432
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:36 pm

croker wrote:There is an interesting design sale coming up on the 4th July at Roseberys auction London. This sale has a fair number or Deirdre Burnett pots mainly in multiples from her studio ,which i imagine is a probate sale also included are number of pieces by Poncelet an artist that doesn't seem to turn up very often. https://www.roseberys.co.uk/design-since-1860/2023-07-04

I carried out the Probate valuation for Deirdre's estate on behalf of the solicitors. Now that some have sold, I hope to get paid for the work and not have to chase them up again.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots Tue Jul 04, 2023 2:39 pm

croker wrote:As you say philpot  condition is everything in these frilly pieces and personal inspection is a must ,i find this work interesting but its not for me.I could be tempted by one of the Poncelet pieces though but i have been buying quite heavily recently so it's probably a no from me at the moment.

During my Probate valuation I separated the damaged pieces and, unless the auction house mixed them in again, all of those in the auction should be without damage.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7813
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum