Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide

+2
twenty21
Nic
6 posters

Go down

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Empty Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide

Post by Nic March 23rd 2009, 1:29 am

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Logo2

Much in the way of cased glass from many different factories is often mis-attributed to Kastrup-Holmegaard as part of the 'Carnaby' series designed by Per Lütken and Christer Holmgren in 1968. Most often these cased glass pieces hail from Germany, produced by three factories; Hirschberg, Taube and Friedrich. There are some examples from Scandinavian factories such as Alsterfors and Elme, and Italian factories in the Empoli region.

In fact Holmegaard, compared to the glassworks mentioned above, produced very little in the way of cased glass in solid colours, but because it is the most famous of the factories it has become a handy hook for lazy or dishonest sellers to hang their cased glass hats upon.

This article aims to clearly define the 'Carnaby' series and any known variations and similar items produced by Kastrup-Holmegaard in this period.

The Carnaby Series Proper:

There are only sixteen different forms in the 'Carnaby' series, produced in five different colour combinations. The forms are all illustrated below:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_1Design: Per Lütken

Available Colours:
Opal/Clear, Yellow/Clear, Yellow/Opal, Blue/Opal, Coral-Red/Opal

Large Vase
Height: 175mm Diameter: 145mm

Medium Vase
Height: 130mm Diameter: 90mm

Small Vase
Height:
100mm Diameter: 90mm
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_2Design: Per Lütken

Available Colours:

Large Vase
Height:
290mm Diameter: 120mm

Medium Vase
Height:
240mm Diameter: 120mm

Small Vase
Height:
150mm Diameter: 120mm
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_3Design: Per Lütken

Available Colours:

Height: 230mm Diameter: 100mm
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_4Design: Christer Holmgren

Available Colours:

Large Vase
Height:
320mm Diameter: 90mm

Medium Vase
Height:
270mm Diameter: 80mm

Small Vase
Height:
220mm Diameter: 75mm
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_5Design: Per Lütken

Available Colours:

Height: 160mm Diameter: 125mm
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_6Design: Per Lütken

Available Colours:

Height: 205mm Diameter: 135mm
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_7Design: Per Lütken

Available Colours:

Large Vase
Height:
200mm Diameter: 180mm

Small Vase
Height:
135mm Diameter: 115mm
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_8Design: Per Lütken

Available Colours:
Yellow/Clear, Yellow/Opal, Blue/Opal,
Coral-Red/Opal

Large Gulvvase / Floorvase
Height:
340mm Diameter: 230mm

Small Gulvvase / Floorvase
Height:
280mm Diameter: 170mm

'Carnaby' Series Anomalies:

As with any glassworks, there are always occasional items that deviate from standard production models, whether as a glassmaker's frigger, a special order, an exhibition piece, or a display model. Glassworks, especially Holmegaard, often produced non-standard pieces for sale to visitors through their factory shops. The following items are uncatalogued and do not feature in the 'Carnaby' range proper, but follow the same palette and style.

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_9Design: Per Lütken

Available Colours:
Blue/Opal, Coral-Red/Opal

Height: 270mm Diameter: 210mm

Notes:
Oversized 'bulge' vase, probably designed as a shop display model or lamp-base.
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_10Design: Per Lütken

Known Colours:
Opal/Clear, Blue/Opal, Coral-Red/Opal

Height: 130mm Diameter: 105mm
Notes:
Widely available in uncased glass for the 1963 'Majgrøn' series, but there are some cased examples following the 'Carnaby' colours. Probably sold through the factory shop. Designs from Jacob Bang's 'Capri' series are also known in this format.
Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Carnaby_11Design: Per Lütken

Known Colours:
Opal/Clear, Blue/Opal, Coral-Red/Opal

Height: 150mm Diameter: 180mm

Notes:
Cased vase resembling the top part of one of the 'bulge' vases. Probably sold through the factory shop.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Empty Re: Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide

Post by Nic March 25th 2009, 12:32 pm

Photographs of the catalogued 'Carnaby' series.

Please note that none of the shape-associated names applied to the vases, such as 'ball vase' or 'bulge vase', are official titles - they're just informal names commonly given to the designs by collectors.

Blue/Opal small gulvvase / floorvase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 113

Coral/Opal small 'pot' vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 114

Blue/Opal medium 'pot' vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 115

Yellow/Clear large 'pot' vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 116

Yellow/Opal small 'bulge' vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 112

Opal/Clear large 'bulge' vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 117

Coral/Opal 'bulge' vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 118

Coral/Opal small 'ball' vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 210

Blue/Opal medium Christer Holmgren vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 119

Coral/Opal 'cone' vase:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 120

Blue/Opal pitcher:

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 121Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide 211
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide Empty Re: Kastrup-Holmegaard 'Carnaby' Identification Guide

Post by twenty21 July 15th 2009, 3:47 am

Nic

This is a great resource and great to look at too! Would you agree that there are also some variations in colour? I have two items - a small gulvvase and one of the "candlestick" vases - from this series in two different shades of coral red..one close to orange and the other a deeper red.

Carlo
twenty21
twenty21

Male Number of posts : 50
Registration date : 2008-04-10

http://twenty21.com.au

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic July 15th 2009, 9:34 am

I've always been curious about that colour variation too.

It could be down to the vases being made from the end of a batch of glass - I was told that last bit of batch, because of how it was mechanically distributed about the factory, was always quite weak and apparently refered to by the Holmegaard glassworkers as 'shitty glass'. Certainly there was a lot of colour variation in the blue, ranging from quite a vibrant sky-blue to a very pale powder blue.

Peter may know more!
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dabeachiegirls October 14th 2009, 9:24 pm

This is a huge help...........great information. I just received a red bulge/opal carnaby vase without the label and have been concerned if it was authentic.
dabeachiegirls
dabeachiegirls

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2009-10-14

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip October 15th 2009, 9:26 am

Hiya dabeachiegirls - yes it's a very useful thread indeed - we're so lucky to have Nic here to share his archives and knowledge with us :-)

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by art-of-glass October 19th 2009, 8:46 am

Hi dabeachiegirls, glad you found this site, was going to recommend you visiting here(re: your ebay message).

Oh, and fantastic guide Nic, I do hope more people see this, I threw something similar together on ebay(well, I was restricted with what I could do so I just set up links to certain websites). but it was at a time when everybody called all that kind of cased glass as being made by Holmegaard and that just annoyed me to say the least lol
art-of-glass
art-of-glass

Male Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2009-10-09

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxandThomas September 19th 2011, 6:14 am

I notice some sites around the net attribute the range to Michael Bang. Is this disputed or are they just wrong? I am a confused beginner!
FoxandThomas
FoxandThomas

Other / Decline to state Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2011-08-24

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic September 19th 2011, 8:14 am

They're just wrong - the original catalogues state very clearly that they're all by Lütken (barring the one design by Christer Holmgren).

Michael Bang created the 'Palet' series, which used some of the same colours - but this was an extensive series of kitchenware - and it's this that causes the confusion, I think.

That, and a lot of dealers don't really care that much who/what they attribute their stuff to if they're too lazy, or if it helps their margins. A very well-respected dealer of Scandinavian design here in the UK had a load of Palet glass described as Carnaby, and I informed him of this - he replied that he already knew, but it sold better when he called it Carnaby.

Shrugs
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxandThomas September 19th 2011, 11:51 am

Thanks very, very much for clarifying - especially since (at the risk of sounding a little eccentric here) I have been swotting up on Holmegaard to the extent that I dreamt about Per Lutken on Friday night then went to my local fete on Saturday morning and found a blue/opal ball vase for $2.50. A much more poetic result than if it had been designed by Bang Happy

I see a lot of round stoppers on Carnaby range items in pictures on the net. Are these an official part of the range?
FoxandThomas
FoxandThomas

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic September 19th 2011, 3:33 pm

I believe, in some instances, there were stoppered examples, where the ball-shaped stoppers had shafts to hold them in the vases - but these seem to be very rare. The book Dansk Glas 1925-1985 shows an example of a tall Carnaby vase in transparent ruby-red glass with such a stopper.

For the most part, the 'stoppers' on those for sale are just Holmegaard hanging balls (like Christmas tree baubles) placed on top, with the loop for threading the string hidden inside the vase. So, no, not officially part of the series... although I'm lead to believe that some canny 1970s retailers originally sold them in this way when new (presumably to keep the sale of baubles going all year round).
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by FoxandThomas September 20th 2011, 1:17 am

Aha! Thanks very much again and also for this fantastically helpful identification guide.
FoxandThomas
FoxandThomas

Back to top Go down

Post by twenty21 February 12th 2013, 9:48 pm

Have the pictures in the guide disappeared? Shrugs
twenty21
twenty21

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic February 12th 2013, 9:57 pm

Oh, they were stored on my old server - drat. I don't have them on this computer - will have to excavate my old hard drive and restore them at some point.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by twenty21 February 12th 2013, 10:13 pm

NO worries ;-)
twenty21
twenty21

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum