Leach pottery vase

2 posters

Go down

Leach pottery vase Empty Leach pottery vase

Post by Waretty March 15th 2024, 9:21 pm

A Leach St Ives S mark vase with, I think, a potter's seal above it but swamped by glaze. Any thoughts on the potter? ThanksLeach pottery vase Img_2023
Leach pottery vase Img_2021
Leach pottery vase Img_2022
Waretty
Waretty

Number of posts : 5
Registration date : 2023-04-02

Back to top Go down

Leach pottery vase Empty Re: Leach pottery vase

Post by philpot March 15th 2024, 10:05 pm

Could we have the size please. Also a picture of the whole base and one of the actual pot when it is straight. You might like to read out thread on the Leach pottery, and other threads we have said trying to identify separate leach potters.
https://www.20thcenturyforum.com/t9954-the-leach-pottery-st-ives?highlight=bernard+leach

The glazing looks slightly unusual. But as to the potter. That is a very difficult one!
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Waretty March 16th 2024, 10:33 am

Thanks for the reply. I read through the thread and can appreciate the difficulty!
This pot measures c7.5"/19cm tall and 5.5"/14cm across the widest point.
The glazing is interesting so I have added a photo attempting to show the thick glaze and the unglazed areas which look like they're sort of smoked. Leach pottery vase Img_2026
Leach pottery vase Img_2024
Leach pottery vase Img_2025
Waretty
Waretty

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 16th 2024, 11:17 am

Thanks for the photos. It actually reminds me more somewhat of the St Ives production in its modern form. From when the pottery was restarted circa 2006/2007. The production and style of the old Leach pottery was very rigid stylistically. Even the individual marked pieces had generally to conform to the Leach House style.
           This looks like a basic Leach style brown glaze, with a very thick slip over it. Perhaps just another possibility might be some experiment from the Janet Leach years from 1979 to her death. She did experiment somewhat. But have never seen anything like this made by her.

Last edited by philpot on March 16th 2024, 7:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Waretty March 16th 2024, 7:26 pm

Interesting, thanks. I can live with it being a bit mysterious. It would be nice to know who made it but not knowing doesn't make me love it any less. It's got a lovely weight and is very tactile.
Waretty
Waretty

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum