East Asian Chocolate Pot?

2 posters

Go down

East Asian Chocolate Pot? Empty East Asian Chocolate Pot?

Post by VintagexzWasNMore March 18th 2024, 3:19 pm

1. I believe this pot, which has a distinct design, is most likely from East Asia and is antique. Both the pot itself and the handle are made of porcelain, although I have read that sometimes that is not the case.  

2. The pot stands at a height of 12 1/2 inches. The base measures 6 inches wide, while the mouth is 3 inches wide. While it weighs 36.5 oz  

3. As you can see from the provided images, it has a beautiful and fascinating overall design. It features a floral motif mixed with a sadly worn gold filling the spaces between the flowers. The design often ends in scroll designs, with the gold showcasing small raised water droplets or dots.  

4. My favorite part of the design, however, is the one covering the base of the pot and the top of its neck. It also surrounds the edge of the lid. This part is done in a deep yet vibrant green-blue turquoise color, with golden half circles at the edges and golden rays shooting out. To me, this is what makes this piece the most distinct, as I have not seen another one like it.  

5. The handle is also elaborately decorated, adding a touch of whimsy to this ornate piece.  

6. Finally, on the bottom of the  
pot, there is a very tiny 1/4 inch gold and red marking.  

7. Given the information I previously posted, I hesitate to refer to it as a maker's mark. It is more likely to be a design mark or something similar.  

8. I am extremely pleased to have found this group, and I would like to express my gratitude once again to the individual who assisted me with my previous item.  

9. I am curious to read the responses regarding this pot. Despite having learned about antiques since childhood, I must admit that I always believed "Classical European" was not a specific style, but rather a way to categorize porcelain, glass, and silver items originating from Europe. It's amazing how we can learn something new every day.

East Asian Chocolate Pot? Img_5932

East Asian Chocolate Pot? Img_5934

East Asian Chocolate Pot? Img_5938

East Asian Chocolate Pot? Img_5936

East Asian Chocolate Pot? Img_5937

East Asian Chocolate Pot? Img_5939
VintagexzWasNMore
VintagexzWasNMore

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2024-03-16

Back to top Go down

East Asian Chocolate Pot? Empty Re: East Asian Chocolate Pot?

Post by NaomiM March 18th 2024, 4:04 pm

Looks like a Japanese mark, late 19thC-early 20thC, made for the Western market. You might find it on the Gotheborg website of Japanese and Chinese marks

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by VintagexzWasNMore March 18th 2024, 4:05 pm

Thank you 🙏
VintagexzWasNMore
VintagexzWasNMore

Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2024-03-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum