Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI

3 posters

Go down

Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI   Empty Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI

Post by Emmarose March 19th 2024, 12:05 pm

Hi all!

Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI   Img_5010
Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI   Img_5011
Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI   Img_5012
I wonder if anyone help me identify this mug? its beautifully made, and marked twice with a daisy stamp, and signed 'Mill Pottery' on the bottom. It has a lovely little cameo of a man's face - possibly a police or serviceman.
It far too well made to be just a hobbyist piece.
Emmarose
Emmarose

Number of posts : 9
Registration date : 2024-02-26

Back to top Go down

Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI   Empty Re: Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI

Post by philpot March 19th 2024, 1:02 pm

I think you are reading it incorrectly. I think it may well be MULL POTTERY of Peter Walker in operation since 1983.

https://mullandiona.art/listing/mull-pottery-shop/
philpot
philpot

Number of posts : 6396
Registration date : 2010-11-06

Back to top Go down

Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI   Empty Re: Mill Pottery, daisy stamp, bust of a serviceman - Tom Agnew, NI

Post by NaomiM March 19th 2024, 1:04 pm

I'm seeing Mill; there's a dot above the i

Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31481
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 19th 2024, 1:09 pm

Or the Mill Rundle Pottery? Happy Its a freehand signature though. And well know how untidy they can get!
https://millrundle.co.uk/
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmarose March 19th 2024, 2:22 pm

It’s definitely ‘Mill’’ Naomi's right !

Thanks Phil, I don’t think that’s quite right unfortunately! I can’t locate a match to the daisy stamp either. I’ve looked through BPSM, the Marks project, and Australian Marks.

It almost looks like a uniformed serviceman….
Emmarose
Emmarose

Back to top Go down

Post by philpot March 19th 2024, 2:57 pm

Another line of exploration might the a 'soldier' figure. What type of Hat is that? What branch of the service? I suspect it was just a one off, but was made to order in quantity for a special occasion. A military occasion. As it is, its not very commercial on its own. Any chance it is an RAF figure?
philpot
philpot

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 19th 2024, 3:22 pm

Maybe a bus or train driver. If it was military I'd expect the regiment details to be on the mug too

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Emmarose March 19th 2024, 3:23 pm

Hi both! Thank you!

I’ve solved the mystery with some sleuthing! It’s a Tom Agnew, at the Mill Pottery in Northern Ireland. the face is from an old clay pipe. @naiomi, is this worth adding to BIPSM?
Emmarose
Emmarose

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM March 19th 2024, 3:40 pm

That's great!

"is this worth adding to BIPSM?"

definitely. Cheers Most Excellent

Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum