Professional restoration & polishing

+2
dantheman
Pip
6 posters

Go down

Professional restoration & polishing Empty Professional restoration & polishing

Post by Pip September 4th 2009, 11:18 am

Has anyone here used the services of a glass restoration company? It's something I'm thinking of doing, I seem to have amassed a personal collection of really nice vases with either waterstaining or small chips that I'd like to look into getting restored.

What I'd like to know is a rough idea of how much it costs, how long it might take and how successful, in your opinion, the restoration was.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3331
Registration date : 2008-02-02

http://www.pips-trip.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Professional restoration & polishing Empty Re: Professional restoration & polishing

Post by dantheman September 4th 2009, 12:22 pm

as it happens my brother in law offers that service

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15419
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Professional restoration & polishing Empty Re: Professional restoration & polishing

Post by Pip September 4th 2009, 1:18 pm

Does he have a website or anything like that Dan?

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 4th 2009, 1:22 pm

no, he has a glass firm but is also a collector of Mdina so the grinding and polishing was a natural progression,I know a dealer in Mdina who can't praise his work enough!

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip September 4th 2009, 1:36 pm

Sounds great! I think I need to foster a good working relationship with someone like that - I come across more and more really nice glass with treatable problems. Up until now I declare any condition issues and sell the items much cheaper or keep them myself but, to be honest, having a growing collection of nice things with imperfections is beginning to irritate.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic September 4th 2009, 2:06 pm

Ditto. It would be ideal for a lot of the Danish glass I have - so much of it arrives scratched and stained, but when the Danes want to buy it back they expect it to be in perfect condition! Rolling Eyes

But this is probably because there are very few glass restorers in Denmark, so I've been told, whereas the UK, by comparison, is quite abundant in them.

I've probably 40-50 pieces that I've 'been meaning to get fixed' lurking around in storage.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Male Number of posts : 2392
Registration date : 2008-03-21

http://www.wilsonandcoleman.co.uk

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 4th 2009, 3:42 pm

That would work out well Nic,my brother in law could probably meet you at a fair but even if you have to take them to his workshop you are only an hour away

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic September 4th 2009, 4:26 pm

Do you know if he has any experience removing water staining with acid washes? Ths is the biggest problem I have with glass, and much of it cannot be mechanically polished.

Whereabouts is his workshop? If it's down Boston way, then I know a couple of dealers who regularly pass through en route to fairs in Cambridge / Norfolk that would be willing to drop my glass off (and probably some of their own).
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Pip September 4th 2009, 4:30 pm

I didn't know water staining had to be acid washed rather than mechanically polished.

Pip
Pip
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by Nic September 4th 2009, 4:34 pm

It can be mechanically done in vases and bowls - but would be very difficult to do safely in narrow-necked decanters.
Nic
Nic
Administrator
Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 4th 2009, 10:00 pm

Nic wrote:Do you know if he has any experience removing water staining with acid washes? Ths is the biggest problem I have with glass, and much of it cannot be mechanically polished.

Whereabouts is his workshop? If it's down Boston way, then I know a couple of dealers who regularly pass through en route to fairs in Cambridge / Norfolk that would be willing to drop my glass off (and probably some of their own).

its out near Wisbech I think on the way to Norfolk

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman September 6th 2009, 10:33 pm

My brother in law will be happy to do the job,he usually takes 2 pieces from a new customer at first to ensure that you are happy with his work and then take it from there.
I have his email address if you wish to contact him.

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Professional restoration & polishing Empty restoration

Post by gfirob February 19th 2010, 3:18 am

I understood that vases could be cleared of interior haze by turning with polishing compound inside for 5 or do days. There is a restorer in Pennsylvania that I was going to send vase to for this treatment. It is the 10" Orrefors Palmqvist vase on page 99 of Smoke and Ice. The exterior is in very good shape but the interior has very bad deposits and they are not washing out. I sent the guy an email and a photograph of the vase and he said that this was exactly what he was set up to do. It takes a while, though and he travels with glass shows, so he is out of his shot a lot. He uses a rig kind of like what is used for polishing gems, but much bigger and set up for multiple objects.

Anybody else have experience with this kind of thing?
Thanks
Rob
gfirob
gfirob

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2010-02-19

Back to top Go down

Post by skay February 19th 2010, 6:46 pm

Hi Rob, welcome to the forum Professional restoration & polishing 124209 someone will know something, I'm sure.

xx

big ed wrote:Burt lancaster spat on me Sad

brin mcardle wrote:Probably no surprise...I love this

Taylor Thomas wrote:Have you got enough quotes Sue?

l33ham180 wrote:the wife wants massive

NaomiM wrote:...didn't even have the excuse it was for charity. Just liked his balls. Cheeky

dantheman wrote:I think it's shit

22 Crawford St. wrote:No one likes clowns.

skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351

Back to top Go down

Post by tammy 123 May 31st 2010, 3:02 pm

I have heard about the services but, I dont know may be these services are beneficial in different designs too like, when designing some artistic glass plates and bowls to make it more creative which will look very good.

I will try to figure it out of how it can be more better if used for creating these stuffs.

Thanks
tammy 123
tammy 123

Male Number of posts : 6
Registration date : 2010-05-31

http://www.the-glass-co.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum