50s ceramics print tablecloth

4 posters

Go down

50s ceramics print tablecloth Empty 50s ceramics print tablecloth

Post by TinTrunk November 28th 2010, 5:24 pm

I saw kirkmodern's post featuring a wonderful Stig Lindberg 'pottery' print fabric and it reminded me of this tablecloth in my collection:

" alt="" />

I'm afraid its neatly hemmed all round, with no chance of access to a selvedge, so I don't know who designed it or the company that manufactured it. Maybe someone will recognise it, one day?!

Now I realise that you have a textile section, I might actually have something to offer this forum (rather than just begging for help with pots ;). I have a huge stash of 50s-70s textiles (mostly curtains) and will post some of them, time and access permitting.
TinTrunk
TinTrunk

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2010-11-28

Back to top Go down

50s ceramics print tablecloth Empty Re: 50s ceramics print tablecloth

Post by dantheman November 28th 2010, 5:29 pm

I love 60's and 70's curtains etc Jumping For Joy

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by TinTrunk November 28th 2010, 5:40 pm

Hooray, me too!

I've been meaning to photograph and catalogue them properly for ages, so I'll post stuff as I work my way through it.
TinTrunk
TinTrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by Medusa21 February 8th 2011, 11:38 pm

Love the tablecloth, is it barkcloth fabric - looks pretty substantial - or thinner cotton?  I can't tell you who the designer is, wish I knew, but the style of design is not dissimilar to some fabric I have which I've made up into cushions.  They both have that sort of Stig Lindberg 'spindliness' about them, if you know what I mean!  My fabric does not have an actual designer's name on the selvedge but it does have ' A Sunlover Fabric' written on it and I am trying to find out more.  I'll try to post a link to a photo of mine for comparison purposes...

50s ceramics print tablecloth Vintag11
Medusa21
Medusa21

Female Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by TinTrunk February 9th 2011, 3:09 pm

The tablecloth is not quite a barkcloth, but it does have a kind of textured weave you can just about make out in the picture, and I'd probably call it mid-weight.

Your print cushion is wonderful too. This ceramic print trend was obviously quite the thing at the time!

I'll keep an eye out for any 'Sunlovers' when I next plough through my fabric stash.
TinTrunk
TinTrunk

Back to top Go down

Post by kirkmodern February 9th 2011, 6:16 pm

looks fantastic. Like most things Scandinavian, they were ahead of the pack in the late 40s and 50s in ceramics, furniture and fabric and when other countries and designers caught up they made their own versions. I have posted a link to the new Sanderson collection on the Stig thread which reproduces some of the 50s designs from UK and there is a particularly nice pottery fabric based on Poole Pottery designs which is obviously inspired by the Stig Lindberg design.
kirkmodern
kirkmodern

Male Number of posts : 76
Registration date : 2010-07-19

http://www.kirkmodern.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Medusa21 February 9th 2011, 7:28 pm

Yes, I saw them too, aen't they're great? Sandersons let you have up to 4 free samples of the fabrics too so I sent off for them to see how they feel compared to the 'real' thing. You can tell the difference straight away as many of the originals were made in spun rayon which is quite soft and floppy whereas these are of a coarser cotton not unlike canvas to the touch. The pottery one was a favourite of mine as well.
Medusa21
Medusa21

Female Number of posts : 15
Registration date : 2011-02-06

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum