Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian?

5 posters

Go down

Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian? Empty Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian?

Post by guyinsf January 17th 2011, 9:19 pm

This is a pair although I acquired them at different times but they look very similar in style but not sure if they are from the same potter. One is a vase with a messy mark at the bottom and the bird piece is a candle holder with no mark. They look Swedish to me. Vase is 3" high and bird is 5" high.
Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian? Birdset1
Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian? Birdset2
Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian? Birdset3

Thanks!
guyinsf
guyinsf

Number of posts : 35
Registration date : 2011-01-17

Back to top Go down

Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian? Empty Re: Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian?

Post by dantheman January 17th 2011, 9:31 pm

they look Danish to me and share the same glaze and clay type so almost certainly came from the same place...

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian? Empty Re: Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian?

Post by guyinsf January 17th 2011, 9:36 pm

dantheman wrote:they look Danish to me and share the same glaze and clay type so almost certainly came from the same place...

Thanks for the feedback Dan, good thing I wasn't that off with my guess, don't want to come across as a fool.
guyinsf
guyinsf

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 17th 2011, 9:43 pm

your choice of pottery proves you are no fool Guy Excellent

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by guyinsf January 17th 2011, 9:48 pm

dantheman wrote:your choice of pottery proves you are no fool Guy Excellent

Very kind of you to say that Dan. Just know what I like but not very knowledgeable on identifications but learning and this site is fantastic!
guyinsf
guyinsf

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 17th 2011, 9:52 pm

we have a few Scandinavian members here who should be able to i d them

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa January 21st 2011, 1:33 am

I've seen a piece like the small square one recently and I'm pretty sure it was Chinese (with a foil label). I picked it up because it looked interesting and I would have bought it if it was Scandinavian. The style of the bird looks Scandinavian but I'm betting it is Chinese also--they pirate designs from everyone. Shrugs
Calusa
Calusa

Number of posts : 241
Registration date : 2010-08-22

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman January 21st 2011, 9:53 am

I hope the Chinese don't ruin the market by mass producing copies of valuable vintage and antique pottery

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa January 27th 2011, 4:13 pm

Unfortunately it seems that is already occurring. Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian? 80963
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa January 27th 2011, 4:41 pm

url=https://servimg.com/view/15559699/100]Pair of Vase and Bird Candle Holder - Swedish/Scandinavian? No_chi10[/url]
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by Calusa February 16th 2011, 11:14 pm

OK, my bad--I saw another vase similar to the small one today; it's not Chinese, it is from Japan (I still stand by my "No Chinese Junk" banner though. Speaking of which, I also noted a Chinese knock-off of a Roseville "Zephyr Lily" vase in a thrift store today). Wah
Calusa
Calusa

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman February 17th 2011, 11:16 am

which begs the question

if you are buying a newly produced bit of pottery, that is trying to look like 1960's Scandinavian pottery,which is best...Chinese or Japanese?

geek

Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by guyinsf December 22nd 2011, 9:45 pm

Here is something I've learned since posting this thread. I do believe these are probably Japanese also. The Japanese produced a lot of pottery through their import companies in the 60's-70's, headquartered in SF. The 2 most prominent companies were Otagiri (sometimes labeled as "OMC" and Takahashi. Products from these companies, IMO, are authentic and vintage to me, not knockoffs. The Chinese knockoffs are probably pieces that are made right now for retailers like TJ Max, Ross, Pier 1, Marshalls, etc. and they are definitely modeled after mid century modern design!
guyinsf
guyinsf

Back to top Go down

Post by Nik December 23rd 2011, 12:03 am

Takahashi - isn't that the bridge Billie Joe McAllister jumped off? Laughter
Nik
Nik

Male Number of posts : 266
Registration date : 2011-11-02

Back to top Go down

Post by NaomiM July 23rd 2012, 7:46 pm

I suspect you are thinking of Marianne Starck, "art director for the Danish pottery company Michael Andersen & Son".
See this link for examples of her work - http://www.midcenturia.com/2011/04/marianne-starck-ceramics.html
NaomiM
NaomiM
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 31474
Registration date : 2012-05-15

http://bispm.co.uk/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum