Padraig o Mathuna

+2
skay
treeflame
6 posters

Go down

Padraig o Mathuna Empty Padraig o Mathuna

Post by treeflame May 4th 2011, 11:25 am

I bought a bowl recently, and figured out it was made by Padraig O Mathuna (Irish gold- and silversmith). I cant really find a lot of information about him.

Does anybody know this artist? Is he still working today? When did he start with the career? Is he a well known name? And also, are all the items signed (well, embossed) with his name unique?

Thanks!
treeflame
treeflame

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2011-04-12

Back to top Go down

Padraig o Mathuna Empty Re: Padraig o Mathuna

Post by skay May 16th 2011, 8:55 pm

Hi tree, may we see it please?

xx
skay
skay
Administrator
Administrator

Female Number of posts : 3351
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by treeflame May 30th 2011, 11:10 am

Ok, lets try this. If everything goes right, you shoudl see a picture, if not... euhm, I am not good with computers Happy

Padraig o Mathuna Dish10
treeflame
treeflame

Back to top Go down

Padraig o Mathuna Empty Padraig O Mathuna. Info.

Post by Niamh Utsch June 17th 2011, 12:07 pm

Hi,

I just happened to see your query about Padraig O Mathuna! He is my father. He is alive and well and retired to Co.Kerry since 1998. He is now 86 years old.

The bowl is Enamel on copper. I can remember that piece being in his gallery, it must have been in the 1970's. I will get more information from him at the weekend..he kept account of his work. His enamel work is rare and a small collection of his enamel work can be seen in the National Museum in Dublin, along with his silver collection.

I am a goldsmith with my own gallery/workshop in Dingle, Co.Kerry.

Niamh Utsch.
Niamh Utsch
Niamh Utsch

Female Number of posts : 3
Registration date : 2011-06-17

http://www.nugoldsmith.com

Back to top Go down

Post by slipsu June 22nd 2011, 3:43 am

Hello, I was directed to your posting by another member. I had posted these photos with hopes of help identifying this enameled copper dish. Is it possible that this could have been crafted by PADRAIG O MATHUNA? Does the monogram look at all familiar?
Any help is appreciated.
Kindest regards,
Slipsu

[url=Padraig o Mathuna Img_1721]Padraig o Mathuna Img_1721[/url][url=Padraig o Mathuna Img_1722]Padraig o Mathuna Img_1722[/url]
slipsu
slipsu

Number of posts : 18
Registration date : 2010-12-16

Back to top Go down

Post by Niamh Utsch June 22nd 2011, 10:09 am

Hi,

I'm afraid that this is not a Padraig O Mathuna dish. He stamped his name into the copper base.
Best wishes,
NU.
Niamh Utsch
Niamh Utsch

Back to top Go down

Post by shorty June 27th 2011, 1:59 pm

Hi,
For what it’s worth I am posting an image of two large Padraig O Mathuna bowls I bought some time ago at auction. Also in the Irish Arts Review - Winter 2009 (November 2009 - February 2010) Volume 26 Number 4 there is a feature from the Crafts Council of Ireland, Muireann Charleton, winner of the inaugural Critical Writing in Irish Craft Award, discussing the work of silversmith Pádraig Ó Mathuna.
Billy
Padraig o Mathuna Pom_bm12
shorty
shorty

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2011-06-27

Back to top Go down

Post by Niamh Utsch June 30th 2011, 11:11 am

Hi Billy,

it's great to see the "old" pieces again!! I was telling Padraig about this forum and he is amazed!!

Best wishes,
Niamh Utsch.

Niamh Utsch
Niamh Utsch

Back to top Go down

Post by treeflame July 4th 2011, 11:47 am

Sorry for the late reply, I was off-line for a while.

Amazing to get an answer from a relative! Thank you so much. The moment I saw the dish I just had to have it, the colors are so vibrant!

In Belgium you never find Irish objects (it's either Belgian or French) so the fact it said Eire made me curious as well. If I ever get to Dublin again, I will certainly visit the National Museum. A good excuse to book a trip. Thanks for all the information. And thank your father for making it!
treeflame
treeflame

Back to top Go down

Padraig o Mathuna Empty Padraig O Mathuna Art Work

Post by dalking2 August 8th 2021, 7:19 am

Niamh Utsch wrote:Hi,

I just happened to see your query about Padraig O Mathuna! He is my father. He is alive and well and retired to Co.Kerry since 1998. He is now 86 years old.

The bowl is Enamel on copper. I can remember that piece being in his gallery, it must have been in the 1970's. I will get more information from him at the weekend..he kept account of his work. His enamel work is rare and a small collection of his enamel work can be seen in the National Museum in Dublin, along with his silver collection.

I am a goldsmith with my own gallery/workshop in Dingle, Co.Kerry.

Niamh Utsch.

Hello,
I have recently joined and I saw this discussion.  I just wanted to share one of my favorite pieces of art that I own and it is by your father.  I purchased it all the way in Arizona U.S.A. and I really love this piece by Padraig O Mathuna.  I just wanted to share it.  All the Best!

Padraig o Mathuna 20210811
Padraig o Mathuna 20210810
dalking2
dalking2

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2021-08-08

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum: