Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty)

4 posters

Go down

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Empty Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty)

Post by antoine.p June 30th 2011, 4:57 am

Hi everybody,

I am quite surprised I'm unable to find anything about this vase I recently bought.
It is made of porcelain, and the decoration seems to be copper which has been engraved by the galvanoplasty process (quite a skilled crafting process). The interesting point about the quality is to see how the copper gets sealed just inside the mouth of the vase.

The mark seems to read like a "P" followed by a tiny "&" followed either by a stylized "O" or "C". There also seems to be a tiny "c" on the right of the circle.

I even wonder how to date it (1920 at best, 1950 at worst ?).

Thanks for your opinions

PS : I left a text in French "Le cuivre est scellé sur le vase" (the copper is sealed on the vase), danke/thanks !

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Vasean10

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Vasean11

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Vasean12
antoine.p
antoine.p

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2011-06-26

Back to top Go down

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Empty Re: Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty)

Post by antoine.p June 30th 2011, 4:59 am

I forgot to put the mark, sorry !

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Vasean13
antoine.p
antoine.p

Back to top Go down

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Empty Re: Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty)

Post by studio-pots June 30th 2011, 8:36 am

This is just a possibility but the nearest mark that I can find to the one in your image is an early mark for the Creidlitz Porcelain Factory in Germany, which was founded in 1907. The factory may still be working but the mark has changed considerably.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7815
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by antoine.p June 30th 2011, 3:15 pm

Thanks Studio-Pots, unfortunately I can't find old marks for Creidlitz on the Net. If the "P & C" was for "Creidlitz Porcelain" I wonder why there would be a "&" between both letters.

It seems it will be quite tricky to know for sure !
antoine.p
antoine.p

Back to top Go down

Post by antoine.p June 30th 2011, 3:35 pm

Also, it seems to me that the mark gives this (or am I wrong ?).

Thanks/Danke/Merci !

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Mark10
antoine.p
antoine.p

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 30th 2011, 5:17 pm

Looks like RC to me , a close up pic might help , very nice vase, Ed
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by antoine.p June 30th 2011, 6:51 pm

Hi Big Ed, thank you for your answer.

I took additional pics in 12 megapixels.

I forgot to mention the size : stands 19 cm in height (hence the level of details is high but this might be explained if a "galvanoplasty" process was used since using this technic produces results so accurate that even a thin scratch -size of a hair- in the matrix would be reproduced. But I could be wrong about the technic).

I rather specialize in paintings & works on paper hence my difficulty finding the right answers,

Sincerely,

Antoine

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Vasean18

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Vasean19

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Vasean20
antoine.p
antoine.p

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 30th 2011, 7:38 pm

Antoine , I can't find any mark like this in the porcelain marks book I have and that covers a few countries , but I agree it is P&C maybe even P&Co, Ed
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by antoine.p June 30th 2011, 7:41 pm

Thanks for your contribution Ed, I'll keep searching then, hopefully I'm only 40 so I have a few years left to find out ;-) !
antoine.p
antoine.p

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed June 30th 2011, 7:55 pm

I'm 57 ...........so I guess Iv'e had it then Shock
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots June 30th 2011, 9:47 pm

antoine.p wrote:Thanks Studio-Pots, unfortunately I can't find old marks for Creidlitz on the Net. If the "P & C" was for "Creidlitz Porcelain" I wonder why there would be a "&" between both letters.

It seems it will be quite tricky to know for sure !

I accept what you are saying. I found the mark in a book that I have "Directory of European Porcelain by Ludwig Danckert, which I find is the best of items of this age and earlier.

The mark does not look exactly like yours (but close) but it is the only mark in there with a PC and there are none for RC.

I wouldn't stake my life on it being correct but it was the most possible of the marks that I could see.
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed July 1st 2011, 9:49 am

In my book , Creidlitz ( bavaria) has C with gt inside for Theodor Gumtau, the others are P.C Bavaria under a crown and finally a circle with pc entwined but nothing like yours , so I doubt it's them , even assuming it's german which I am not very sure about . Shrugs
big ed
big ed

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots July 1st 2011, 10:28 am

For what it's worth the early mark that I am referring to is

Mystery Art Nouveau vase (porcelain + copper applied by galvanoplasty) Creidl10
studio-pots
studio-pots
Consultant
Consultant

Back to top Go down

Post by R.Ferrao July 1st 2011, 12:00 pm

Hi, search here : http://www.porcelainmarksandmore.com/site/email.php
or send a message asking for help, it worked for me before. Rita
R.Ferrao
R.Ferrao

Female Number of posts : 800
Registration date : 2011-05-25

http://ceramicamodernistaemportugal.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum