oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please

5 posters

Go down

oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please Empty oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please

Post by flying free December 2nd 2011, 4:44 pm

I've bought this as a present for OH, partly because we're both from up North and it just reminded me of that, partly because *I* like it, not a good excuse for buying something for someone else I know. I ummed and aahed and left it for a week but had to go back and get it (whereupon I found it was reduced Happy ). I can't find a signature. I absolutely love it - my favourite scenes/settings are industrial (my favourite views being from the M5 looking at Avonmouth and the other being from the train going through Port Talbot )
Does anyone recognise where this may be? I thought it might be somewhere in the Potteries maybe?
thanks for any thoughts :)
m

oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please Potter10

oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please Potter11

oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please Potter12
flying free
flying free

Number of posts : 604
Registration date : 2010-02-21

Back to top Go down

oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please Empty Re: oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please

Post by tenpot December 2nd 2011, 6:13 pm

looks to me like an amalgam of different scenes giving an idea of a region
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please Empty Re: oil painting of the Potteries? maybe? anyone recognise the scene please

Post by flying free December 2nd 2011, 10:47 pm

thanks Tenpot - that makes sense. I was looking for a place rather than a region, but perhaps it is not as narrow as a place.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 3rd 2011, 6:52 am

possibly all places in the Stoke on Trent area?

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 3rd 2011, 8:29 am

The odd thing is that the label on the back is for a dealer/framer in Haslemere - the heart of Surrey.

It reminded me of something that I had seen by Alan Lowndes, who came from Stockport (subject rather than style) and, as someone who isn't a fan of landscape painting, I would be very pleased if someone gave it to me as a present.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by dantheman December 3rd 2011, 8:31 am

it reminds me of those early tourism posters

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 15416
Registration date : 2008-02-03

Back to top Go down

Post by big ed December 3rd 2011, 10:39 am

We see two bridges and a cathedral and from the view you could presume the artist is on another bridge , just a thought Shrugs
big ed
big ed

Male Number of posts : 11942
Registration date : 2008-03-22

Back to top Go down

Post by tenpot December 3rd 2011, 4:36 pm

it seems to have a theme of power as in electricity and coal even an oil refinery stck in there
tenpot
tenpot

Male Number of posts : 2635
Registration date : 2008-06-07

http://aucoustier.blogspot.fr/

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free December 3rd 2011, 6:11 pm

thank you all!
Dan I feel it could be the Stoke area definitely. My only other instinct was Birmingham possibly or Newcastle for some reason - but I think that was to do with the hill (coal?) and the two up two downs kind of houses and I sort of discounted that. I know what you mean about the tourist poster.
Ed, I thought the same! so I've been looking for somewhere with the canal going through it that has a similar set of bridges, and looking for somewhere with that church behind the bridge. I've also been searching power stations.
Tenpot - absolutely - the theme of power is very strong in this painting. And all dependent I would guess on the canal/water, so that being the focal part of the painting (for me at least). I think there is a power station in the Stoke region (can't remember off hand the name...something beginning with R I think ...shall go look that up again).
Studio-pots thanks!! - reassuring to hear your view on it. And I shall go and look up Alan Lowndes ( I visit Stockport very regularly). I must admit I thought it strange that I couldn't find a sig yet it seemingly had a good framers label, and odd that the two places could not be more diverse.
thank you all - I'll see what more I can find out.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by studio-pots December 4th 2011, 9:14 am

It could be signed on the reverse but that would mean taking the back off the frame.

Consultant
Consultant

Male Number of posts : 7817
Registration date : 2011-02-17

http://www.studio-pots.com

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free December 5th 2011, 12:03 am

I've looked up Alan Lowndes - thank you. I do like some of his paintings. I prefer Lowry though but perhaps that's because they are darker, more intricate and detailed. But Lowndes led me on to another artist whose work I absolutely thing is fantastic - Geoffrey Key. I would love one of his paintings. I'm not suggesting this painting is his at all, but there is more of a similarity with his 70's paintings I think? ( see first link for pics of Amsterdam). so I do wonder whether whoever painted my picture was from the 60's/70's and perhaps from the North. Thank you for the lead :)
http://www.geoffreykey.com/gkey/collections.aspx
http://www.createwrt.net/features/gateway_gallery.htm
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free December 5th 2011, 12:20 am

Another here of Geoffrey Key 70's - I love this one
http://www.andrewhartleyfinearts.co.uk/thumb.asp?image=585dec08.jpg
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by flying free December 5th 2011, 9:32 am

an earlier Alan Lowndes work 1950's - I think I may have been looking at the wrong era - I love some of his 1950's work.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/arts/yourpaintings/paintings/halifax-west-yorkshire-72357
Thanks so much for the lead! I've found some wonderful work.
m
flying free
flying free

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum